Topic: Counters?

Let's say for the sake of argument we were considering the release of a product that included its own counters. Would you be turned off by the inclusion of cardstock sheets that require further assembly to use in the game, with the option of buying pre-cut counters for an additional cost? Or would you want pre-cut counters to be the standard?

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Re: Counters?

Depends on the size of the counters for me. If small and many, then pre-cut would be preferable simple to save the hassle of all that snipping. If a bit larger with not so much snipping, then pre-cut would be a bonus but not really a necessity.

I too think it depends on the size and use of the counters. I find that small, flat cardstock counters are difficult for me to organize, handle and manage as a game goes on.  I have switched to small and tiny colored dice for almost everything that a numerical counter is used for, and for markers that have an image I always mount them on a backer/base. Real small markers or counters are much more difficult and tedious for me to mount so I might skip them completely. Pre-cut may help a bit with that. 

Larger "ship counters" I wouldn't mind cutting out of a sheet, but I would still probably mount them to something else to add some depth to grip.

I guess I would like to know what the precut counters would be made of. If they're just perforated cardstock (I think some of the B5Wars game supplements came with these) I wouldn't be as excited about them as if they were die cut out of some nice thick material like the games of yore smile I'm having flashbacks to sorting Avalon Hill Blitzkrieg pieces.

To sum up: Uncut card is ok with me if the counters are large enough. Precut would definitely be preferred as an option if they are made from quality material, but not required as standard if they drive the price of the game up too much by their inclusion.

These would be 1" square counters, if that helps inform.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

That would fall under the latter half of my prior answer then. wink

Blacklancer99 wrote:

I guess I would like to know what the precut counters would be made of. If they're just perforated cardstock (I think some of the B5Wars game supplements came with these) I wouldn't be as excited about them as if they were die cut out of some nice thick material like the games of yore smile I'm having flashbacks to sorting Avalon Hill Blitzkrieg pieces.

So the precut counters would be laser-cut, thick chipboard. Very nice-- but utterly impractical for me to bulk order and warehouse. Thus the thought that I could provide DIY counters with the product and allow players to purchase the proper counters as an add-on at cost.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Which would work fine if printed on decent cardstock then glued to foam core squares. Some might think Sticker paper would be easier...but my experience with this method has the stickers peeling up over time as the adhesive used fails with age. The foam core makes things easy to pick up and is nicely durable. I still have and use the counters I made that way in the early 90's in near mint condition as it were. smile

mj12games wrote:
Blacklancer99 wrote:

So the precut counters would be laser-cut, thick chipboard. Very nice-- but utterly impractical for me to bulk order and warehouse. Thus the thought that I could provide DIY counters with the product and allow players to purchase the proper counters as an add-on at cost.

Ok, I like that option. DIY counters as part of the product and "hi-quality" counters available for purchase definitely seems like an everybody wins kind of thing. Thanks!

I would definitely be willing to pay extra to obtain nice pre-cut counters. I also think that offering those separately whilst offering a less expensive option that comes stock with the game is a good idea.