Topic: Invalid Moves?

This one must be as old as the hills but I can’t find any reference to it. What happens when a move is show to be invalid?  Do you suffer some penalty or simply rewrite the order? Before you think I’m a total ass I allowed my opponent to simply rewrite the move that exceeded his engine capacity. He then asked “is that what happens or are you just being kind to me?” I looked in the rules and found nothing! You check the orders for validity but I couldn’t find anything about what if they are invalid.
I expect as there is no discussion on the forum each group has an amicable solution what are those solutions? We are using the ‘standard’ orders but I think the question covers all movement options.
I can see three reasonable solutions
1. Follow the orders as written until they become in valid
2. Simply assume the navigation computer failed to perform the inputs and the ship continues on with the last speed and heading for the current turn (while Kirk berated embarrassed Sulu.).
3 allow a rewrite (but that gives a significant advantage to the ‘invalid’ ship as they know everyone else’s orders)

We/I chose option 2 in our game.

Re: Invalid Moves?

Rulebook, p.11:

"If the thrust required for the starship’s recorded movement orders exceeds its current engine rating, the orders are invalid and cannot be completed. Any ship discovered to have invalid orders moves forward hexes equal to its speed in the previous game turn."

However, I think in most friendly games players allow for their opponents to rewrite their orders.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Re: Invalid Moves?

Thanks. I looked but under time pressure couldn’t find it. I agree with allowing a rewrite but my opponent ‘likes to suffer for his mistakes’. In a different game, a naval one, he declared a target, worked out the hits before asking me its armour value. I replied I didn’t know as the target was one of his ships! I hadn’t told him for comedic value but he insisted on applying the damage anyway  as friendly fire!