Topic: wardogs in 20th century IS universe

I DL'd Wardogs, but I was wondering if there would be a way to retrograde it to cruder tech?

I'm STUCK on the Russo-Japanese War,  and I would love to see ground combat in the IS universe with advanced alloy mechs powered by reverse-engineered martian kit (or steam) slugging it out on the banks of the Yalu River  big_smile

Or on Falklands  :wink:

What kind of kit and modifiers would anyone see?  No thermal lock on.  No power swords.....

Re: wardogs in 20th century IS universe

themattcurtis wrote:

I'm STUCK on the Russo-Japanese War,  and I would love to see ground combat in the IS universe with advanced alloy mechs powered by reverse-engineered martian kit (or steam) slugging it out on the banks of the Yalu River  big_smile

Somewhat off-topic, but have you seen the anime "Raimuiro Senkitan"?

From the AnimeNewsNetwork:

Around the the 37th year of the Meiji Era (1904) in the midst of the Russo-Japanese war, the small Japanese army, in need of assistance, uses its special flying (thanks to a benevolent demon) ship, the Amanohara, to attack Russia's major base at Port Arthur (Lushun). Umakai Shintaro, a Russian diplomat originally from Japan, defects and goes to Sapporo to teach at a girls academy. However, that girls academy is not typical - it is on board the Amanohara, and the five girls Shintaro teaches are known as the Raimu Unit - girls with the ability to summon powerful beings to fight for them. Shintaro eventually becomes their teacher and general in battle, and so the six embark on a weird and excessively erotic journey, as Shintaro helps the girls overcome their weaknesses, become stronger for the final stand at Lushun, and also understand the motives of the "Russian Spiritual Corps" that assist the opponent, which, unfortunately, has one member whom Shintaro knew well....

It's not exactly "mecha", and there's prolly more fan service than you'd really want (or maybe you do smile ), but it's the right time frame...

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Ne'er heard of it smile 

Kevin and I, a while back, toyed with the idea of crude mech rules.  I thought it would be easier to degrade Wardogs tech. 

Neat set of rules.....fold up paper counters like the ships (until any minis came out......swish bam boom smile

I like the idea of crews in monstrous, but quasi-suicidal, walking machines blasting away with light artillery, rockets and machine guns.

That'd be pretty easy really.  Limit the power plants to Tesla coils, steam, and clockwork...

Limit the frame enhancements as you see fit...so no flight mods or organic armors and the like...

Weapons would also have limited enhancements and possibly range...

I tried to set things up so the options are all there and can be played with as folks desire for whatever period. smile   You can also limit the mecha size if you'd like which would also limit what they could use.  Since the scale is roughly 2x size for height in meters...a size 3 mecha is 6m tall. (3x man-size)

And having been designing mecha and tanks the last few days with all the modern gee-whiz-bangs...I can tell you...space is at a premium with things like armor and power plants.  You can use 40-60% of your available space right there.

I think the biggest thing may be the thermal signature for figuring lock ons...since such tech wasn't readily available back then.  In such a case I think I might recommend size+movement/3 for the lock on roll and limited ranges to a max of 9 or 12.  Definitely a point to consider, that... :?

Hey...don't forget the Sakura Wars....

They use steam mecha with spirit power weapons of sorts....

And it's set in the turn of the century Steam Age.  smile

I'll take the file home tonight and look at it.  Offer suggestions you can shoot down big_smile

You'd have to use bore sighting as thermal locks wouldn't be an option.  I'd also think stabilization would be just about absent in this timeframe.

themattcurtis wrote:

I'll take the file home tonight and look at it.  Offer suggestions you can shoot down big_smile

You'd have to use bore sighting as thermal locks wouldn't be an option.  I'd also think stabilization would be just about absent in this timeframe.

Yup.  Going through my math here...this is gonna take a bit of thinking since a faster smaller mecha should be harder to hit than a big slow walker....meaning my size+move/3 won't work.

Okay...I think this will work. 

Size+10/ movement

So if you have a size 2 mecha that moves 6 hexes this will end up being

2+10=12/6...a lock-on of 2 or less. (or in this instance it should be considered a to-hit roll).

A size 9 mecha moving 3 hexes will end up being hit on

9+10/3= 6 or less.

Given the inaccuracies of bore sighting and weapon tech levels, there really are no easy shots even with the largest mecha (unless they're going slower than a snail on molassass.) wink

Just running through (and causing irreparable damage to the rules....)

Movement MP costs would be unchanged.

Stability Checks: Maybe give multiple bands to weapon hits (IE differentiating between taking hits from 2 pnders or a 12 pnder).

No flight mode, and add a rough terrain penalty (as I see these things as being clumsy).

Instead of Lock On, could we have "Lay on Sights?"  Make a roll against crew skill levels, modified by quality of optics, rate of movement (slower, once again), smoke and battlefield conditions (ignoring flares and hiding in water).

Instead of power plants affecting lock on, we could have them offering different results to power plant hits on the chart -- IE crew being scalded by steam, or maybe one version's more durable.  The power plants themselves are fine if we're talking anything BUT Fuel Cells, reactors or cores.

We could have armored vehicles, but no flying apparatus (or would we?)

themattcurtis wrote:

We could have armored vehicles, but no flying apparatus (or would we?)

Power plant modifiers for the to-hit roll I think are okay. After all, a big cloud of steam is a tell tale for wind direction and location. wink

I agree with the Stability Rolls issue.  For low-tech, there should be a penalty...say equal to the DMG class of the weapon. So a DMG 1 weapon would be a Stability Mod of +1 whereas a DMG 4 class would be a SM of +4.  Entering into off road type terrain should generate a stability roll when changing terrain types...or at least once per turn.  Don't want to bog down with too many rolls.

Optics sounds like a good Frame modification for low-tech. smile  Decoy Flares would be pretty useless vs the old Mk I eyeball...but very useful for night...so there would be an added effect I've not taken into account.

Of course there's flying craft...Dirigibles!!!!  Though if you have Cavorite and all in the picture it may be possible to have other flying machines.  I think that would be totally dependent on the background established and how 'gritty' you want to make things.  :twisted:

I'm seeing it as the same setting as Iron Stars.

Fledgling tech here. I'm not creating a setting, just tryin to apply the rules to the timeline smile

themattcurtis wrote:

I'm seeing it as the same setting as Iron Stars.

Fledgling tech here. I'm not creating a setting, just tryin to apply the rules to the timeline smile

Guess that means adding in poison gas shells as an enhancement and camouflage (making the mecha a tiny bit harder to spot...say a 1 modifier.)

Can we count the poison gas shells as a crowd control device?

The Iron Stars // Wardogs crossover sounds really interesting....

John

Nahuris wrote:

Can we count the poison gas shells as a crowd control device?

The Iron Stars // Wardogs crossover sounds really interesting....

John

Hmmm...dunno if I want to try to split it between a tear gas vs mustard gas type of effect.  Could be overly complicating things...just thinking that tanks back when really weren't sealed up and the gas would be effective vs them as well as the infantry...and mecha crew as likely.

I wasn't suggesting different gases.... I was contemplating a Nazi mech force.......LOL

As much as I prefer to play "humane" forces on the battlefield.... occasionally, someone has to play the "bad guy".......

I was thinking of a scenario where the players are trying to stop opponents who are gassing a city......

The problem would be if they got caught in their own gas clouds...... especially if they are not well sealed.

John

Nahuris wrote:

I wasn't suggesting different gases.... I was contemplating a Nazi mech force.......LOL

As much as I prefer to play "humane" forces on the battlefield.... occasionally, someone has to play the "bad guy".......

I was thinking of a scenario where the players are trying to stop opponents who are gassing a city......

The problem would be if they got caught in their own gas clouds...... especially if they are not well sealed.

John

Well...my inclination is to use them as area of effect weapons with a multiplier of 3 or so...similar to multiple warhead and EMP warhead enhancements. 

To go totally overboard would be to start dealing with wind directions and speeds...dispersion rates and area spread....AUUUUUGH!!! :shock:  *sprains a brain cell*

But...if'n folks wanna go to that length...nothing says THEY can't do a house rule for it.  :twisted:

This reminds me of:

http://www.steamwars.com/

:-)

If you get into the mechs, you open up a whole different type of game. If you add dirigibles it turns into a wargame, not a 'dreadnoughts in space' game, not a 'steam mecha' game. That being said, I kinda like the idea.
<chuckle>
I can see I'm going to need to make some more custom parts.

size 1 steam-powered armor! smile

http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&id=1808630443&cf=pg&photoid=565604&intl=us

Dirigibles have been in the last couple versions in the Close Air Support design section. wink

Go0gleplex wrote:

size 1 steam-powered armor! smile

http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&id=1808630443&cf=pg&photoid=565604&intl=us

Dirigibles have been in the last couple versions in the Close Air Support design section. wink

Steam Boy seems a bit early in the canon, perhaps not, enjoyed the trailers, though.

To summarize the tech, if we include 'primitive' Wardog Mecha (Steam Soldiers?), we ought to have...

- 'Cavor Lifters' - Spherical Surface to Orbit Cargo ships, they use minimal rockets to match orbits, no Zero Point Generators or Aether Propulsion.

- 'Cargo Sleds' - Cavorite lined sleds with propellers that are used as air/surface transports. Think Airboats like they use in the Everglades - but the bottom has Cavorite shutters to minimize the amount of mass that pulls down the sled - they try to achieve neutral 'bouyancy' in the atmosphere.

I haven't had a chance to read the last version of Wardogs....maybe at work this evening.

Yup... smile

The movie is pretty good from an artwork/ idea standpoint.  Definitely a "power corrupts...absolute power corrupts absolutely" and that technology/science is only as evil as the use to which it is applied moral message.

Still...it's more gritty than Nadia: Legend of Blue Water is in that respect...and starts with the Paris World Exposition.