Topic: I just bought a ton

O' 1:3000 scale Japanese and Russian ships from WTJ to play some Grand Fleets.  Every ship for the Yellow Sea scenario plus the extra hypothetical cruisers for the Russians.

About $115 in little teeny ships.

Anyone point me to some painting guides for these guys?

Re: I just bought a ton

themattcurtis wrote:

O' 1:3000 scale Japanese and Russian ships from WTJ to play some Grand Fleets.  Every ship for the Yellow Sea scenario plus the extra hypothetical cruisers for the Russians.
About $115 in little teeny ships.
Anyone point me to some painting guides for these guys?

Hey Mattster...
The WTJ ships are really nice.
Much nicer than the NavWar ships I've got.
As for painting, I'm not sure what the best source would be for colors.
I believe the Japanese, for the most part, were a medium gray all over. So for all of the Japanese ships I painted the entire ship gray, and then paint the decking a medium brown. I then painted the guns and funnel tops black for some contrast.
For the Russians, things are a little more unclear. I believe most of their ships were white before the war started. Once the war started, it's my understanding that they changed the color scheme to a dark green. Unfortunately, I found this out after I had painted my Russians in pre-war white. So I simply left them white. While this might not be totally historically accurate, it makes for a nice contrast on the tabletop.
So all of my Russian ships are white all over, with the same medium brown for the decking. Again I painted the guns and funnel tops black for some contrast.
I'm using the Portsmouth Miniatures 2 inch hex mat to play on, and I've tried to match the look of it on my bases I've got each ship mounted on.
If you'd like to see some pictures just send me an e-mail, and I'll send 'em to you.
Kevin

There ya are  big_smile

I got these things because as strapped as my hobby funds are, I got a raise (9%, not bad).  And I decided I could blow most of the extra $$ I would see in my first paycheck on gaming  :twisted:

I figgered the Japanese would be the easiest to paint, and your post mirrors what I've heard.   I'm gonna use Reaper gun metal on their hulls, as it's a dark grey, a nice dark tan for the decking and straight black on the gun turrets and smokestack tops). 

As for the Russians, thanks for that  smile  I can get a pretty dark green by mixing olive drab with a touch o' black. 

Shoot me your address (my yahoo is themattcurtis). Love to see the pics.

themattcurtis wrote:

There ya are  big_smile
I figgered the Japanese would be the easiest to paint, and your post mirrors what I've heard.   I'm gonna use Reaper gun metal on their hulls, as it's a dark grey, a nice dark tan for the decking and straight black on the gun turrets and smokestack tops). 
As for the Russians, thanks for that  smile  I can get a pretty dark green by mixing olive drab with a touch o' black. 
Shoot me your address (my yahoo is themattcurtis). Love to see the pics.

The Japanese did paint up fairly quickly.
The Russians took a little bit longer, as I had to apply several coats of white.

My home address is still:
ksmith19@cox.net

The work address is still:
kevin.l.smith@boeing.com (eventhough we're Spirit Aerospace now)

I'll get some pics sent as soon as possible.
Kevin

If you go to the MJ-12 egroup and look in the photos section (GenCon 2004), you can see a few pics taken of my Yellow Sea game I ran at GenCon in 2004.
The photos don't show the ships very closely, but you can at least get some idea of what they look like until I can send you some better pics.
I'm the geek in the glasses and Wichita State shirt.
big_smile
Kevin

I'm actually toying with picking up all the ships for Yellow Seas using the Houston's Ships 1:1000 scale ships. A friend of mine has the line. I currently have all the ships from Navwar.

Thanks,

John

I'm lovin the way the WTJ ships are painting up.

Kevin, ya gots to come to Origins some day.  We'll OD on Grand Fleets.

My girlfriend has a digital camera, and I want to take some pics to send you.

The Japanese paint jobs are really clean.  I have them in flat, medium grey (I think the color is Reaper "slate") with wooden decking and steel plate black for the gun barrels sticking out of the main turrets (saw some images that reinforced that idea).  And teeny little white lifeboats.  I have about 9 of their ships finished now.  And I have to say the Yakumo BB, Mikasa BB and two of my protected cruisers look the best.

The Russians have 7 ships completed.  Dark green hulls, superstructures and turrets (olive drab mixed with some leather brown gave me a good shade) wooden decking, white lifeboats and yellow smokestacks with black rings -- all the ships have their smoke stacks tipped in black, but I tried the rings I saw in actual photos on some of the Russians.  I got the colors from model galleries, a couple of written accounts and the photospread in the middle of one of my books (even though it's black and white, you can make out the scheme isn't far off target).  Right now, Rossia is my favorite there.

So, 30 ships in my initial package and I got 16 done in a week.  But I'm gonna rest for a day or so.  And by Wednesday I'll be getting my last set of cruisers and my destroyer flotillas.

My raise is gonna give me a small gaming budget....finally  big_smile .......right now I have enough to do Yellow Sea, Ulsan and some Port Arthur "what ifs?"  In the next month or so I'd like to either gnab some American and Spanish ships, or American and German. 

I got a novel -- "1901" -- that has a hypothetical war between the US and Germany.  That could make for some NICE little battles.  Or Hells Bells, I could put American and Japanese pre-dreadnoughts against each other  :twisted:

Hello everyone!

I have some 1/3000 ships that I purchased from Modelers Mart in Clearwater, Fla, two decades ago.  These were made in the UK.  But cannot get them there anymore .  Could someone send me the link or the full name of the company so I can find it on the web?
Thanx

Steven Gilchrist; Jacksonville, Florida, USA
BeowulfJB@aol.com