Topic: 15mm Scifi army conversions

Hi All,
I am working on a conversion of armies and could use some idead. First off let me tell you what I am working on. I have all but given up on 28mm and went down the 15mm fantasy road (witch brought me to MJ12 in the first place), and found some very nice 15mm Scifi stuff. So I met a guy in NJ to play 15mm Fantasy and he showed me his MJ space marines, and orks. I was hooked at this point. So I place an opred for over 100 15mm orks from MJ miniatures. Now I have some Peter Pig 15mm and was not happy with them but neded something to paint while I wated for the orks to come. So the Peter Pig sutff looked like TAU so thats how I painted them up. So I have Space Marines, Orks and TAU to start converting to the Defiance rules.

I don't think I will need more that just defining the armies, comming up with the TL, SR, TR, and frame.

My thoughts on the orks are this are they TL3 or are they TL2? And can Tec level 2, and 3 play together?

If you want you can go to my web site and see some of the minis I am working on, Even terrain.

Re: 15mm Scifi army conversions

noelvh wrote:

If you want you can go to my web site and see some of the minis I am working on, Even terrain.

Hey... that's some good stuff there, Wes! smile

Dan

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

noelvh wrote:

So I have Space Marines, Orks and TAU to start converting to the Defiance rules

You might find it helpfull to take a look at the "archetypal" example force lists created by Demian. I'm sure he can be persuaded to provide you with a link (or give me permission to publish the links to PDFs at my home page). There is a list for Star Marines and Space Thugs. The latter is build to handle Orkish style forces, while the inspiration for the first should be obvious from the name.

My thoughts on the orks are this are they TL3 or are they TL2?

I would make them TL3 but mostly limit their weapon frame options to TL2 compatible stuff as their standard weapons aren't very effective.

And can Tec level 2, and 3 play together?

In tournaments, I believe that's a no. Otherwise, there is no such limitation. A TL2 force might have a hard time taking on a TL3 force tho, but that's as it should be.

Dan thanks for having a lok at my minis.

Wes.

Hey Wes,

Glad to hear from a 15mm sci-fi afficianado!  I personally think that 15mm affords the best compromise between paintability and playability, but the market is so dominated by 28mm games that Defiance made it the "default", though we made sure that conversion to 15mm was both easy and allowed for a bit more of a realistic figure to ground scale.

As for your army conversion ideas, as tnjrp suggests, I would make Orks (as they are described in the 40K gameworld) tech level 3.  This is because, despite a low-tech look, they still have alot of unique and powerful weapons and effects, as well as powerful body armor.  It is a bit tough with techno-fantasy armies, however, since they often have basic weapons that seem worse than an early 20th century bolt-action rifle.  This is one reason for the "techno-fantasy genre" rules in the rulebook; to try and better capture the "WWI tactics in a high-tech universe" feel.

For some ideas, here's a link to some generic lists that can be found on the official Defiance web page: 

http://mj12games.com/defiance/armydemos.pdf

Demian Rose wrote:

we made sure that conversion to 15mm was both easy and allowed for a bit more of a realistic figure to ground scale

When we were playtesting Stars... errm, Defiance a while ago, we did use the 15mm scale measurements with 28mm miniatures as our table is so small (well below the suggested size). Indeed it worked that way as well.

I would be greatly interested in links to the manufacturers you mentioned, NoelVH. I've looked at but never bought 15mm vehicles you might be interested in:

http://www.dldproductions.com/

http://www.oldcrowmodels.co.uk/

Demian sez Tech3 for Orks, and I'd say the same (not only for the obvious reason but also...) Warhammer 40K tends to have weak basic weapons, somewhat effective special weapons, and massively powerful heavy weapons, as well as grossly powerful hand-to-hand attacks and, back in the days of 40K when grenades killed people, several of those were pretty devastating too. You'll probably find that the "massive blast that hurts everything and works on everyone" weapons are VERY pricey in Defiance; hence, Tech 3.

I printed out the Army lists today and the thugs are dead on excpt the dog things. I will probley wack the dogs add MegAroured troops and mixin some looted tanks. This should fill it out nicely. I do have a question regarding and onld ork weapon called a squig catapult. Do you know what i am talking about and if so could this weapon be created in the D-rules.
If you need more info on this weapon i will provide it.

Wes

I have 2 tanks and 1 VTOL from FroceXXI. I was going to place a another order with him but the owner went on deployment with the US army I think.
But for somr of the conversion armies I am looking into WWI tanks. With some light conversions to them I feel they will look cool.

Wes

smokingwreckage wrote:

I would be greatly interested in links to the manufacturers you mentioned, NoelVH. I've looked at but never bought 15mm vehicles you might be interested in:

http://www.dldproductions.com/

http://www.oldcrowmodels.co.uk/

Warhammer 40K takes a lot of visual and tactical cues from WW1, so if you want that visual theme, WW1 miniatures is the place to look.

Can you link me to whoever you got the infantry from? or they have no web-presence?

I remember the squig catapult! Maybe make the squigs jump-capable to represent them bouncing merrilly across the battlefield, having been fired from off-board?

Maybe make them jump-capable and make the catapult a slow APC? Or make it regular indirect-fire artillery, (with the rationale that it flings all the squigs in one big basketload and then goes onto slinging bombs around) then make it and the squigs an exclusive unit?

Demian, is it possible to points-cost a unit that is jump-capable only on the first round?

a squig catapult. Do you know what i am talking about and if so could this weapon be created in the D-rules

I know of the Squig Catapult, having had an army of 2nd ed. Orks in the distant past.  If I'm remembering correctly, it was an indirect fire weapon that fired an AOE of squigs that then moved randomly around.

The best approximation for this would probably be an inaccurate poison effect airstrike.  This might be a bit powerful for what you want, however, and a bit expensive.  Another option would be to build the catapult as a size three infantry figure, which could then "throw" poision grenades up to 24".  I am also open to some augmentation strategies (e.g. wreckage's suggestion that certain troops get a "jump once" ability), but would want these to be carefully thought out and playtested.

-Demian

Well, if I had the model I'd just make it a field artillery piece (i.e. infantry crew served weapon) of the mortary persuasion. In other words, use it like Lobbas in the current Wh40k version. But that's just me of course.

Very colourful effects such as those of the old Shokk Attakk Gun or Hop Splat Field Gun are difficult to implement in another system, especially in a open one where the system has to ensure balance accross the board. People who adore such effects are probably always going to feel that Defiance and other "generic" games are a bit bland.

Demian Rose wrote:

I am also open to some augmentation strategies (e.g. wreckage's suggestion that certain troops get a "jump once" ability), but would want these to be carefully thought out and playtested

sw made me recall that one of the augs I'd like to see considered sometime would be some kind of paratroops option. A "jump once" ability would be a step in that direction. But that's entirely of topic here...

Brigade Models just brought out a big bunch of 15mm vehicles (including giant pill-bug tanks).

http://www.brigademodels.co.uk/Frames/SF15/index.html

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

mj12games.com/forum → Defiance → 15mm Scifi army conversions