Topic: Flight Groups - what's the point?

Having just read through the Demo rules, I have a question - what's the point in having Flight Groups of more than 2 aircraft? I don't see any benefit in grouping aircraft together other than that the rules tell you to, so it would seem you're always better off taking mutliple groups of two. Am I missing something here?

Re: Flight Groups - what's the point?

Helstrom wrote:

Having just read through the Demo rules, I have a question - what's the point in having Flight Groups of more than 2 aircraft? I don't see any benefit in grouping aircraft together other than that the rules tell you to, so it would seem you're always better off taking mutliple groups of two. Am I missing something here?

Flight groups activate sequentially during the turn.
So one advantage of a flight group of four versus two flight groups of two would be that it'd be possible for the big flight group to be activated early in the turn, meaning that all four planes in the big flight group would activate before some or all enemy planes.
I'm guessing the upsides to large flight groups are probably balanced out by the downsides.
Kevin

Helstrom wrote:

I don't see any benefit in grouping aircraft together other than that the rules tell you to, so it would seem you're always better off taking mutliple groups of two. Am I missing something here?

Two benefits:

1) Larger flight groups can do more damage, as Kevin has pointed out, and

2) It keeps the game moving. smile

Two drawbacks:

1) Larger flight groups mean less activation cards in the deck, meaning less chance that you will activate when you need to, and

2) Larger flight groups mean limited tactical flexibility.

Ultimately, the 2-4 planes per group rule is there because that's how WW2 air forces grouped themselves -- you could enforce an optional rule where the size of a flight group is based either on nationality or training. i.e., better pilots can get away with flying in pairs, while novices group in 4s for protection.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Hmm, those are good points. Seems that it would be balanced out by getting more cards in the deck though. Thanks for the answers!