Topic: mini recommendations for my armies?

OK --

I bought a bunch of Brigade 6mm stuff because I like the scale and because I wanted to get units that would easily fit within the hexes I have on my maps.  Also -- easy on the budget to amass decent sized armies.

I'm happily converting my AFVs into Wardogs  big_smile ......

For infantry, I'm taking Reaper's CAV infantry (regular grenadiers).  Sure, they're slightly on the large size at 10mm, but they're not THAT much bigger -- I can base three on a penny as opposed to four.  And I want my PBIs to stand out a little.

Now, my question is, what minis should I use to represent mechs?  I only want a couple apiece for my two factions, as Wardogs looks like it doesn't rely OVERLY on mechs.  You can have tanks and APCs and air support and all that. 

Could some of the smaller CAV mechs serve as big old' battle platforms and not look ridiculous?

Or do I need to stick with GZG 6mm walkers?  The only problem I have with these is they all look too much alike and they're kinda spindly. 

I figure if I get some CAV scout mechs, that are about 2" tall, or twice the size of a MBT, that wouldn't be too bad a representation of a large assault walker.

Thanks
Matt
PS -- if anyone's interested in seeing some stats, I can put them up.

Re: mini recommendations for my armies?

themattcurtis wrote:

OK --

I bought a bunch of Brigade 6mm stuff because I like the scale and because I wanted to get units that would easily fit within the hexes I have on my maps.  Also -- easy on the budget to amass decent sized armies.

I'm happily converting my AFVs into Wardogs  big_smile ......

For infantry, I'm taking Reaper's CAV infantry (regular grenadiers).  Sure, they're slightly on the large size at 10mm, but they're not THAT much bigger -- I can base three on a penny as opposed to four.  And I want my PBIs to stand out a little.

Now, my question is, what minis should I use to represent mechs?  I only want a couple apiece for my two factions, as Wardogs looks like it doesn't rely OVERLY on mechs.  You can have tanks and APCs and air support and all that.

Could some of the smaller CAV mechs serve as big old' battle platforms and not look ridiculous?

Or do I need to stick with GZG 6mm walkers?  The only problem I have with these is they all look too much alike and they're kinda spindly. 

I figure if I get some CAV scout mechs, that are about 2" tall, or twice the size of a MBT, that wouldn't be too bad a representation of a large assault walker.

Try scratch building some?

Birch or Balsa square stock - some sculpey.....

themattcurtis wrote:

PS -- if anyone's interested in seeing some stats, I can put them up.

oh HECK yeah!
big_smile

Should be able to use any scale mecha mini Matt...they just represent larger or smaller units as desired.  The size scale is just a simple 2 meters tall per size class.  So if you have a CAV unit that's a centimeter taller than a GZG walker that you've established as, say a size 6, then use the CAV as a size 8 or 9 or what. smile

go0gleplex wrote:

Should be able to use any scale mecha mini Matt...they just represent larger or smaller units as desired.  The size scale is just a simple 2 meters tall per size class.  So if you have a CAV unit that's a centimeter taller than a GZG walker that you've established as, say a size 6, then use the CAV as a size 8 or 9 or what. smile

The thing there is that bigger CAVs tend to have better armor than smaller ones, and in Wardogs ittnds to be herder to give bigger units great armor.

RiflemanIII wrote:
go0gleplex wrote:

The thing there is that bigger CAVs tend to have better armor than smaller ones, and in Wardogs ittnds to be herder to give bigger units great armor.

Hmm.. that's just a game stat issue.

There's nothing saying that the conversion is perfect, or even has the same abilities as in the original game. Just because it's heavily armored in the other game, doesn't mean that what looks like armor isn't just wafer then.
big_smile

That's assuming that he's even using them as something approaching the same kind of mech in the other game.

I still like the idea of scratch builds, I'd do some if I had the time.

Scratch builds aren't an option for me....not that handy.

And I should clarify that I'm not looking to translate CAV mechs exactly.  The only thing I'm trying to do is to find minis I can use.  I'll stat them up as something else entirely, trying to fit it into the Iron Cow universe (just using Wardog rules).

That's the route I'm going to go.  Big scale stuff -- Iron Cow universe, Iron Cow rules.

Smaller/skirmish stuff (with maybe a combined arms company on either side) -- Iron Cow universe, Wardogs rules.

Bigger units, more armor = more weight, more support structure required...:)   But...if you use enhancements like the crystal reinforced or superior alloy, you can get thicker armor...at a cost in movement.  If you want improved protection with decent movement, then energy shields are the route you'd have to take...at a price in thermal signature.

It's all a question of trade off's. smile  And it reflects that smaller units tend to be more efficient than the monster stuff...;)  That pesky engineering gene of mine peeking out...*chuckle*

go0gleplex wrote:

That pesky engineering gene of mine peeking out...*chuckle*

Which I'm VERY much in favor of.
big_smile