Topic: What R We Doing?

There was some murmuring about progressing IS .....then it kinda faded.....but the game's 3 books are right now in RPGnow's top 10 again  big_smile

Which means some folks thing we're doing things right.  So are we ready to advance it further? 

Matt

Re: What R We Doing?

I know I'm anxiously awaiting the next book...and some more minis from Brigade...but I'm not on the design team.

Damn. My list of things to work on just got bigger.

I need to make this my day job. smile

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Lots of books and products still to be generated. Right off the top of the head;

The first world war is still waiting to be born.

You've established the Moon as a new "Spanish Main" which really needs daring privateers operating against Spanish bullion convoys. This naturally leads to an offshoot in the form on ground combat and campaigns (Hmmm, Space 1899 rears it head once again?).

The Martians are still out there and they must be planning thier "Empire Strikes Back" move.

Shackleton base, what tech was found? In the upcoming WWI it will be a prime target for all the major powers.

Remember Standard Island, as reported by Verne? A supposedly man made floating city that disappeared after its revolution and civil war? Who has it and its resources, and what are they building on it?

Then there's the use of Selenites as crew abooad ships to be thought of, or maybe as native levy (Sepoys rule ok!) in the wars to conquer the moon.

Lots of stuff still to be done, so go get on with it!

cricket wrote:

Damn. My list of things to work on just got bigger.

I need to make this my day job. smile

I've been thinking that for years now....but for me, not you.....
big_smile

Narratio wrote:

Lots of books and products still to be generated. Right off the top of the head;

The first world war is still waiting to be born.

I seem to remember that being up next. I could be mis-remembering...

Narratio wrote:

You've established the Moon as a new "Spanish Main" which really needs daring privateers operating against Spanish bullion convoys.

I'd think that pirates would be a LONG way off. Wasserstahl and Aether Drives are EXPENSIVE things. Privateers? Maybe...

Narratio wrote:

This naturally leads to an offshoot in the form on ground combat and campaigns (Hmmm, Space 1899 rears it head once again?).

Hmmm... I'd personally use ARES as a ground combat module. Just apply the IS setting and stir briskly...

Narratio wrote:

The Martians are still out there and they must be planning thier "Empire Strikes Back" move.

Yeah... :twisted:

Narratio wrote:

Shackleton base, what tech was found? In the upcoming WWI it will be a prime target for all the major powers.

Don't recall any discussions about that.

Narratio wrote:

Remember Standard Island, as reported by Verne? A supposedly man made floating city that disappeared after its revolution and civil war? Who has it and its resources, and what are they building on it?

THAT is totally new....???

Narratio wrote:

Then there's the use of Selenites as crew abooad ships to be thought of, or maybe as native levy (Sepoys rule ok!) in the wars to conquer the moon.

That ain't happenning I wouldn't think - running an Aethernaught is highly technical work - not something that you'd want to leave to impressed slave labor.

Narratio wrote:

Lots of stuff still to be done, so go get on with it!

Bear in mind that a LOT of projects are being juggled about, and the parties in question have regular day jobs - well, jobs - in my case.
smile

Privateers....after a fashion.  Commerce raiding is definitely happening between the powers. (re: Merchant Wars and Southern Front scenarios)

Selenites...already planned out.  Nuff said for now.  :twisted:

go0gleplex wrote:

Privateers....after a fashion.  Commerce raiding is definitely happening between the powers. (re: Merchant Wars and Southern Front scenarios)

That's commerce raiding - World War style - what I think he's looking for is 'Spanish Main' stuff - I don't see that as appropriate in this setting.

You'd need the equivalent of Pirates building a modern destroyer here, and I don't see that happening yet - the tech is too new, and the startup costs too high.

Now, have someone like the Irish Republicans trying to obtain a 'submarine', or something like Raleigh's royal support against the Spanish, and you've got something - but it ain't 'Pirates of the Spanish Main'...

Once the tech has matured (say 50-100 years down the road), then maybe you'll see an older, smaller ship being hijacked from a third-rate crew and used to surprise merchants in deep space. Remotely plausible...

Still unlikely - but it IS a game.

To my mind, it's like a pirate that's managed to lay his hands on a Perry Class frigate - it ain't gonna happen. Too many safeguards, not to mention guards. Now, real world pirates ARE be able to lay their hands on a fishing boat and load on guys with RPG's and Machine Guns - but in the case of Iron Stars, there isn't a 'fishing fleet' yet, and all the ports are still military ones. Anything in space is either military or has a LOT of military oversight portside. No 'fishing ship' to abscond with from some un-wary anglers....

go0gleplex wrote:

Selenites...already planned out.  Nuff said for now.  :twisted:

More or less, yes....but I'm not one to spill the beans. We'll have to wait for Dan to clear his desk of current projects....

big_smile

I said privateers and I meant privateers, not "Yah me hearties" Hollywood pirates. The governments of Europe routinely used to issue letters of marque to individuals for a percentage of thier take and yes, while dedicated warships are expensive, converted freighters are not.

To my mind, it's like a pirate that's managed to lay his hands on a Perry Class frigate - it ain't gonna happen. Too many safeguards, not to mention guards.

Okay, I admit I don't see it like that. For a full size battlewagon, yes. But since Prof. Cavour made his first trip in what was basically a big steel ball, that's not the case for smaller vessels. Anything airtight will do. So small ships, possibly made from scrapped vessels, or built by some of the up and coming private corporations would work. Just slightly larger than the space fighters perhaps.

The system already allows sloops or similar sized vessels, so why not? Frieghters are not protected, the Spanish are recreating the halcyon day of looting South America, it would make sense for some government to allow a few small vessels, using 'pop guns' and boarders to go grab some of it while having deniability.

As to the Selenites being unusable, certainly they can be used as sepoy infantry in the wars to conquer the moon. As to crew for the ships? They're not a stupid race, they can make tools and thus can be taught. Not much on these ships is amazingly technical, it's coal or oil fired tech. And ships always need painters, stokers, stewards etc.

I mention Standard Island as you had included Nemo and Robar but seemed to have let that one slip. There's a floating city somewhere down there guys.

Narratio wrote:

As to the Selenites being unusable, certainly they can be used as sepoy infantry in the wars to conquer the moon. As to crew for the ships? They're not a stupid race, they can make tools and thus can be taught. Not much on these ships is amazingly technical, it's coal or oil fired tech. And ships always need painters, stokers, stewards etc.

Ummm....no.  The reasons for this will become apparent in time.  But in short, you're humanizing a species that is not only alien, but completely alien (to us) in their thinking and culture.   :wink: