Topic: Firing arcs

I'm working on a new hex-based naval-type game, and I've started thinking about firing arcs. One thing that I've always kind of wondered about was the effect of overlapping arcs, and whether this is a good thing or not. Grand Fleets uses the A-F arc system, as well as Starmada.
For the most part I really like the firing arc system. Where I think it may need some tweaking is in the cases where a target lies on a hex row that bisects two arcs. Let's take the A-C hexrow. When this happens, weapons with both the A arc and C arc firing capability may fire.
I wonder if this is a good thing?
I guess i'm alos wondering if it'd be an improvement to have all arcs be "mutually exclusive" or "independent."
In other words, no overlap.
Any thoughts on this.
Kevin

Re: Firing arcs

I like the A-F system (simple, elegant, easy to use) and the overlap is a good thing in my opinion. However, if it bothers you, consider this:

[*] Option 1: If a ship is in two arcs (A and B, for example), roll a die: 1-3=A, 4-6=B. Then, once the die is rolled, consider the ship in the appropriate arc for the rest of the turn.[*]Option 2: Allow the defending player to chose an arc in such instances and consider the ship in that arc.

underling wrote:

I'm working on a new hex-based naval-type game, and I've started thinking about firing arcs. One thing that I've always kind of wondered about was the effect of overlapping arcs, and whether this is a good thing or not. Grand Fleets uses the A-F arc system, as well as Starmada.
For the most part I really like the firing arc system. Where I think it may need some tweaking is in the cases where a target lies on a hex row that bisects two arcs. Let's take the A-C hexrow. When this happens, weapons with both the A arc and C arc firing capability may fire.
I wonder if this is a good thing?
I guess i'm alos wondering if it'd be an improvement to have all arcs be "mutually exclusive" or "independent."
In other words, no overlap.
Any thoughts on this.
Kevin

It's a pretty good question, Kevin. I have wondered the same on occasion.
But what I always come back to is "what is the harm with overlap?" Is there a reason that guns in an A and C arc would never intersect their coverage? As someone without a surface Navy background (and certainly no space fleet experience), I can never talk myself into believing that it is a big concern.

Anyone with more knowledge (surface navy, plz. the aliens would wig me out) care to shine some light on the why's and wherefores?

I'm wondering if there's not even more incentive to have overlapping arcs.  I can't imagine if a gun can be turned to face a particular point why it would ever not be used to put rounds into the bad guys out there too.

even when it's bad structurally for the vessel carrying the gun (i.e. if firing to a particular arc also causes the captain's rum to spill) why a sailor wouldn't just shoot first and buy the captain a drink later.

In other words, if the gun can point at the target, it'll be used to hurt the target.

I have also never seen a really bad game effect from the overlapping arcs effect either. I think that it could be addressed but that it might seem a little fiddly.

I don't know for sure, of course, but that's my feel. 'Course, I've been wrong before (e.g. the KEB issue)

KDLadage wrote:

I like the A-F system (simple, elegant, easy to use) and the overlap is a good thing in my opinion. However, if it bothers you, consider this:

[*] Option 1: If a ship is in two arcs (A and B, for example), roll a die: 1-3=A, 4-6=B. Then, once the die is rolled, consider the ship in the appropriate arc for the rest of the turn.[*]Option 2: Allow the defending player to chose an arc in such instances and consider the ship in that arc.

I would prefer Option 3:  The player who is considered to "have initiative" for that turn would which arc the target ship is in.  Of course, this option only works in games that determine initiative each turn, either by design or by house-rules.

--Tim