Topic: Quantum Legions

I know it's been pretty quiet around here lately, but things are starting to happen again. Here's an example of something that's been hounding me for years... smile

http://mj12games.com/forum/files/ql_651.zip

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Re: Quantum Legions

Overall...I kinda like it Dan.  The only thing that doesn't thrill me a lot is forcing a unit to execute an order based on a random draw.  Call me a control freak...but I really hate not being the one choosing my units actions.   tongue

I can see using the chits with different colors for the activate...annoying (chits are) but understandable and not so major as that control issue. wink

There like construction stuff to determine unit ranges for whatever factions?

go0gleplex wrote:

Overall...I kinda like it Dan.  The only thing that doesn't thrill me a lot is forcing a unit to execute an order based on a random draw.  Call me a control freak...but I really hate not being the one choosing my units actions.   tongue

Actually, I think you might have misread it. You first draw a chit (from those you selected at the start of the turn) and then decide which unit will carry out that order.

So you have control all the time -- from what orders you put in the cup, to which units will activate when.

There like construction stuff to determine unit ranges for whatever factions?

There will be, yes.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Nope didn't misread it....mayhaps mispoke myself from my intent. smile  I see having my orders limited to what's in the cup as detracting from overall control...because my choices are being limited.  One of my pet peeves is all. *chuckles*

Coolness on the construction bit.

go0gleplex wrote:

Nope didn't misread it....mayhaps mispoke myself from my intent. smile  I see having my orders limited to what's in the cup as detracting from overall control...because my choices are being limited.  One of my pet peeves is all. *chuckles*

Hmm... I guess that was the point. You are limited by the choices you make at the start of the turn. If you want to go on the attack, but suddenly need to defend, you're going to have a problem. smile

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Took a look of these rules and I kinda of like the idea that you have to decide what all your units are going to do at the beginning of the turn.  It shouldn't have too much of an impact, but perhaps enough to turn the tide of battle if you pick the wrong stuff.

The option to put a unit on hold if your plan needs to be changed in the mists of battle is a great touch (only 1 unit and one action - not both works in my opinion).

-Bren

cricket wrote:
go0gleplex wrote:

Hmm... I guess that was the point. You are limited by the choices you make at the start of the turn. If you want to go on the attack, but suddenly need to defend, you're going to have a problem. smile

Okay...so if I understand this correctly, as a concept, you're trying to model the "fog of war"/ "command communications delay" effect with the use of the chits.  Okay...I can buy that...may not LIKE it much from a personal preference...but I can buy into the intent. smile

go0gleplex wrote:

Okay...so if I understand this correctly, as a concept, you're trying to model the "fog of war"/ "command communications delay" effect with the use of the chits.  Okay...I can buy that...may not LIKE it much from a personal preference...but I can buy into the intent. smile

Yeah, I guess. Actually, I just thought it'd be an interesting variation on the old Space Marine "place an order chit next to each unit" mechanic.

But yeah, it's all about "fog of war"... big_smile

Actually, the game won't break with another activation system -- so for those who don't like it as-is, it should be tailor made for tweakin'...

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com