Topic: Confirmation required

[B]This is a question/confirmation regarding the interaction of three rules during the shipbuilding process: AEGIS Fire Control, the Defensive trait and 'Post-Defensive' traits[/B]

A few weeks ago I realised that my Shipbuilder didn't take into account the (what I term) Post-Defensive traits when calculating the additional SU and ORAT for AEGIS Fire Control. Those traits are 'Accurate', all 'Slow' and all 'Expendable' traits.

I've added support for this into the latest edition of my Shipbuilder (namely, applying the modifiers to the Defensive SU calculation) but I just thought I'd make sure that I'm correct in assuming my previous Shipbuilder is incorrect in that regard. This hasn't been an issue before because I decided not to explore that particular interaction but, when working on a SUE style version of 'Eternal Quest', I realised that for an AF Missile Rack, I'd need both Defensive and Expendable/Accurate.

Re: Confirmation required

I don't know how to confirm this, as I can't seem to find the Acr/Exp/Slw traits in your Shipbuilder...

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

For the CRBWpns sheet, they are the two weapon trait fields grouped on the K column underneath the 'P-Dfn Traits'. For the SkrWpns sheet, they are in the R and S columns. The first in each is a binary choice between Accurate (Acr) and the second in each are the Expendable and Slow traits.

However, I just need to know that the Accurate, Expendable and Slow traits affect the Defensive SU addition when added to a ship with AEGIS. I think an example is needed:

A CRB weapon has the following stats:

R-3, 1x2+/1/1, Acr/Slw/Dfn. It has a final SU cost of 3.1 SUs. (4 pre-Accurate/Slow stats).

The above weapon in a battery of 4 weapons with ABCD arcs totals 62SUs.

With AEGIS, the battery would total 78SUs, because the Defensive SU addition would add 0.78SUs (rounded to 0.8) for a final BSUR of 3.9.

Before this, my Shipbuilder would have calculated it as 4.1 (because I hadn't remembered to apply the Post-Defensive traits to the formula for AEGIS+Defensive trait SU calculations)

After typing this out, I am fairly certain I am correct that I did need to add the Post-Defensive traits to the formula. I just needed to confirm it.

Okay, I don't think I fully understood the question.

Aegis Fire Control doubles the Defensive addition to the BSUR. So looking at your example weapon:

R-3, 1x2+/1/1, Acr/Slw/Dfn

Hexes Covered = (3+0+2)*(3-0) = 15
Relative Value = 15*1*0.5*(1+0.25)*(1+0.6) = 15
BSUR = 15/(3+2) = 3.0

Defensive Addition = 1*0.5*2 = 1

Adjusted BSUR = 3+1 = 4*1.3*0.6 = 3.12, rounded up to 3.2

If you add Aegis Fire Control, the Defensive Addition is doubled to 2.

Adjusted BSUR (w/Aegis) = 3+2 = 5*1.3*0.6 = 3.9

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

That's what I thought. I'm guessing that I just had two brain-freezes--1 ages ago in March/April when I couldn't work out how to add it in (turns out it was easy once I actually thought about it) and 1 when, after several months, I finally realised I hadn't taken into account those Post-Defensive traits.