Topic: Fleet scale naval rules discussion

I see the "need" for a set of fleet scale rules.
Let me rephrase that. I'd really like to have a nice set of fleet scale rules.
I'd like to be able to play games using 20+ ships per side in a "reasonable" amount of time. Now I realize "reasonable" has different meanings for different people.  :wink:
My definition would be two to three hours for a small fleet game (15-25 ships), while larger fleet games might take upwards of four or five hours.

Where I feel naval games *really* slow down is in the gunfire segment of a game turn. Usually the movement segment of a turn, regardless of the ruleset, can be resolved fairly quickly.
So to start with, I'm concentrating my efforts on coming up with a combat mechanic that is fairly quick, but still gives a passing nod to historical accuracy.

There are two directions, at least initially, that I'm thinking about going with this:

The bucket of dice approach, which can resolve a salvo with one set of dice rolls, but where 10 to 12 or more dice (d6s for starters) might be rolled at one time, but with no need for an additional chart or table. A target number, probably a 5+ or 6+, will determine the number of hits caused.

OR

A gunfire "factor" system, where the factor total of a salvo is determined,
one or two dice are rolled, and a table is consulted to determine the damage caused. The end results in number of damaging hits caused will be similar, but arriving at that number will differ.

I don't have a big preference one way or the other, other than over the past few years I've preferred systems NOT relying on CRTs. That being said, I grew up playing wargames that use CRTs, so I'm used to them.
Oh, and for you younger types, a CRT is a Combat Results Table.  big_smile

For example...
Using the first method, SMS Moltke has (10) 11" gun dice, (4) 6" gun dice, and (3) light gun dice. Assuming no modifiers, when Moltke fires her 11" guns she'd roll 10d6.

Using the second method, SMS Moltke has an 11" gun factor of (10), a 6" gun factor of (4), and a light gun factor of (3). Again assuming no modifiers, when Moltke fires her 11" guns she'd roll say one or two d6, and the gunfire CRT would be consulted, cross-referencing the die roll against the number of factors, in this case 10.

So the end results would be similar, but with the first method you're rolling a handful of dice and directly obtaining the result, while with the second method you're rolling a single or two dice, and cross-referencing the result on a table.

Any preference?
Kevin

Re: Fleet scale naval rules discussion

Buckets of dice!

big_smile

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Rolling a bucket of dice for each ship will be time consuming with 15-20 ships. IMO.

Why not roll for Turrets and Multi Ship salvoes when resolving fire?

For example- BBs X, Y & Z are all within main gun range of an opposing BB they wish to target. The BBs have 7 Turrets that they can bring to bear. Thus they roll 7 dice. This is much faster than rolling 10 dice for each ship.  smile

Another idea that could work with the above would be using different dice types to represent different weapon turrets.

Examples-
4”-8” Single Turret 1d4
9”-12” Single Gun Turret 1d6
13-16” Single Gun Turret 1d8
Each Extra gun in a turret bumps up a die type, thus-
Twin 5” 1d6
Twin 11” 1d8
Twin 14” 1d10
Triple 16” 1d12

(Note I'm just tossing these numbers out there as far as which caliber guns should be within a grouping)

Another way of speeding things up would be if the attack roll also indicated the effect of the hit.

Using the above dice types perhaps the lower dice can only really affect a BB indirectly knocking out com, radar, etc. In other words hitting something not armored.

The larger dice would chew up a lighter ship but would need to roll well to cause major damage to another large ship.

Just some ideas to to ponder.  big_smile
Rich

Use attack factor per turret based on gun size/power scale.  Roll d6 per turret, attack vs defense rating of target.  attack roll is defense rating or less, no effect or miss.  Roll amount above attack rating indicates damage....so the less of a success is equivalent to minor hit whilst a high success might indicate a magazine hit (with all the associated side fireworks)

go0gleplex wrote:

Use attack factor per turret based on gun size/power scale.  Roll d6 per turret, attack vs defense rating of target.  attack roll is defense rating or less, no effect or miss.  Roll amount above attack rating indicates damage....so the less of a success is equivalent to minor hit whilst a high success might indicate a magazine hit (with all the associated side fireworks)

So in other words you're advocating...
Buckets of dice.  :wink:

Using Moltke again, she had (5) 11" turrets.
At a die per turret, that'd be (5) dice.
Where you'd get into some "problems" using this method is in the secondaries. Moltke also had (12) individual 6" guns. At a die per gun that's (12) dice. Of course, half of them were on the port side of the ship while the other half were on the starboard side.

There are a lot of different ways to approach this design problem that will obtain similar results.
I guess what I'm looking for to begin with are opinions on whether it's preferable rolling one or two dice and consulting a table, or rolling more dice (say 3 to 12) and not having to consult a table.
So far, it sounds like people don't have a problem with rolling a number of dice at one time, as long as it's a "manageable" number.
Kevin

You could go as far as setting up an average rating for main guns and secondaries I suppose. smile  I was just tossing a mechanic possibility out.

-- Deleted --

-- Deleted --

One could reduce a ship to a number of dice for each arc (Bow/Stern/Port/Starboard) and for each weapon level (Primary/Secondary Batteries) based on some sort of attack rating, which may be affected by damage.

Thus a BB may roll 4d6 Primary 2d6 Secondary dice for a broadside. Even though there are many more actual guns in the secondary they just are not as lethal and take more guns to create a die (attack value).

-- Deleted --

-- Deleted --

-- Deleted --

Send me your e-mail, and I'll send along a couple of small documents that show you what I've got in mind.
Kevin

ksmith19@cox.net

I do like some of the stuff that you have came up with.  Consider me interested.

-Bren

Okay, here are a few ideas I've had floating around for several months now. This will be harder to do without displaying an actual ship card, but I think you'll get an idea of the basic gunfire mechanic I'd like to use.
In our example Evstafi is facing off against Goeben, with both ships using just their primaries in this example.

Goeben   
Pts: xxx
Hull: OOOO / OOO
Spd: 3 / 2   
Arm: 4
Torp: 4dxO@3

Weapons   
11”
Range: 3 / 6
PEN: 3
Gun Dice: 8, 6, 5, 3, 2

Evstafi   
Pts: xxx
Hull: OO / OO
Spd: 2 / 1
Arm: 3
Torp: 2dxO@1

Weapons   
12”
Range: 3 / 6   
PEN 3P   
Gun Dice: 3, 2, 2, 1, 1

Okay, here are the basics...
GUNFIRE RESOLUTION
The indicated number of dice (d6) in the first (left) gun dice column are rolled, with each result of 5 or 6 scoring a damaging hit on the target.
Positive modifiers will be left column shifts, while negativew modifiers will be right column shifts.
Now to our example.

The Evstafi and Goeben are four hexes away from each other, each moving at speed three, and in each other's broadside arc. Combat is resolved simultaneously. The players decide to resolve Goeben's gunfire first.

Goeben begins with (8) 11” dice. The 11” guns have a penetration of 4, with the Evstafi having an armor value of 3. Therefore, there is no column shift.
However, the 11” guns are at long range, and the Evstafi is a small target. That results in a two column shift to the right, giving Goeben (5) 11” dice. The roll results in one 6, causing one hull damage.

Evstafi begins with (3) 12” dice. The 12” guns have a penetration of 3, with the Goeben having an armor value of 4. The 12” guns are at long range, though, and can plunge fire, which reduces Goeben's armor value by one. This results in no shift due to penetration. Because they are at long range there is a one column shift due to range. This results in a net one column shift, giving Evstafi (2) 12” dice. The roll results in a miss.

That is combat in a nutshell.
I'll try to post a little more thorough report tomorrow, with maybe some ship cards to back it up.
Kevin

Okay...now thta I'm not at work I have a bit of time to expand a bit on what I was thinking.

So if you have a ship with 4x15" double gun turrets, you would roll 1d6 +attack factor (for purposes of explanation), say +9 per turret.

your target is a destroyer...no armor but moving at X, so it's defense factor is (armor + speed) (squared maybe, eh  lol ) + size (bonus for small targets having less area to hit) .  Thus it rolls Xd6 +size.
for purposes of example: armor 0, speed 6, size 4 for a bonus of +6 (10-4)= 2d6+6

So the attack rolls a 2, 3, 5, and 6 modified by the +9 to 11, 12, 14, 15.

Defense rolls a 2 and 5 for a total of 7+6= 13. 

Attack rolls 11 and 12 are misses, since below 13.
Attack roll 14 is +1, so does minor damage (whatever it might be)
Attack roll 15 is +2, so does a bit more serious damage, yet likely still minor.

At a fleet scale level, this allows you to use essentially a minimum of rolls to determine hit and damage all in one swoop and keeps both players involved at all times.

It can be further modified for angle/aspect of attack if desired.  And it still preserves the essential flavor of the ship regarding number of guns.

That's what I was trying to hint at in my brief note above. *wry smile*

The problem with opposed rolls I've seen in other games, is that the vagaries of the dice can produce some really wonky results, like large caliber guns glancing off thin armor, or small caliber guns getting good hits against heavily armored opponents.

If the dice type isn't big enough to produce those kinds of results, then its generally a small enough difference that you're better off just eliminating it altogether.

OK. . . so it doesn't sound like you're interested in pursuing my idea for a combat mechanic, totally fine.  I'll be happy to help out however I can with you on the one your developing.

Okay all, I really like that we're getting some discussion on this.
As Dan will tell you, I've been bugging him for a fleet level game ever since Grand Fleets first came out. A few months ago, he and I actually put together some skeleton ideas for a fleet level game. I certainly don't want to stop any ideas from coming in, but let me discuss what we've come up with to this point.

Here's a link to a few sample ship cards that I've put together.

http://mj12games.com/samples.png

While the data generation may change a little, I'd like to head in the general direction we've started.
So here's how to interpret the card.

Spd: The first number is the undamaged movement point allowance (in hexes), while the number after the slash is the damaged movement point allowance.

Arm: The armor rating of the ship.

Torp: This multi-value shows the number of torpedo dice, the number of torpedo salvos (shots), and the range they can be fired at.

Hull: The boxes before the slash show the number of hits a ship can take before it becomes damaged. The number of boxes after the slash show how many hits a damaged ship can take before it sinks.

Weapons: Each weapon entry will have a gun type, range, penetration value, and five columns of gun dice.
Gun type: Probably self-explanatory.
Range: The number before the slash shows close range (in hexes), while the number after the slash shows long range.
Penetration: The penetration is the gun's ability to penetrate armor, and is compared to the armor value of a target.
Gun Dice: Each gun dice column shows a number of dice that are rolled when a weapon is fired. Assuming no modifiers, the left-most column is used. Positive modifiers will shift the column used to the left, while negative modifiers will shift the column used to the right.

Superscripts: You may have noticed the superscripts on a few of the values. For now, I'm seeing those as optional. But for those who like a little more detail, here's what they mean:

P: This indicates plunging fire capability at long range, and it lowers the target's effective armor value by one.
WT: This indicates wing (turret) gun positions. The ship incurs a -2 column shift when firing to port or starboard.
CL: This indicates centerline turrets. No penalty is incurred when firing to port or starboard, but a -3 column shift is incurred when firing fore or aft (normally a -2 penalty).

GUNFIRE RESOLUTION
The indicated number of dice (d6) in the first (left) gun dice column are rolled, with each result of 5 or 6 scoring a damaging hit on the target.

Here are the proposed modifiers for gunfire.
Each modifier is either a positive shift (left), or a negative shift (right)

PEN < Armor = -1 per level less than

Long Range = -1

Forward/Aft Arc = -2 (Starmada G & L arcs)

Target Speed 0-1 = +1
Target Speed 2-3 = 0
Target Speed 4+ = -1

Target Size 1-4 = -1
Target Size 5-10 = 0
Target Size 11-18 = +1

Out of command = -1

The following are the proposed armor modifications:

Plunging Fire = -1 to Armor (not cumulative with the end armor penalty)
End Armor = -1 to Armor (not cumulative with the plunging armor penalty)

Okay, now having said all of that, here's an example of how gunfire resolution works.

The Konig and Malaya are six hexes away from each other, each moving at speed three, and in each other's broadside arc. Combat is resolved simultaneously. The players decide to resolve Konig's gunfire first.

Konig begins with (9) 12” dice. The 12” guns have a penetration of 4, with the Malaya having an armor value of 4. Therefore, there is no column shift.
However, the 12” guns are at long range. That results in a one column shift to the right, giving Konig (7) 12” dice. The roll results in one 6 and one 5, causing two hull damage.
Next, Konig has (3) 6” dice. The 6” guns have a penetration of 1, which would normally result in a three column shift (pen 1 versus armor 4). The 6” guns are at long range, however, which allows them to plunge fire, decreasing the Malaya's armor value by one. This results in only a otwo column shift due to penetration.
Because they are at long range, another one column shift is applied, which gives a net three column shift. This gives Konig (1) 6” dice, which is rolled and misses.
Konig's light guns are out of range.

The Malaya's gunfire will be resolved after lunch.  big_smile

Okay, now it's time for the Malaya. As Dan is rolling for Malaya, all dice come up either a one or two, and so all gunfire is ineffective.
Just kidding, of course. But I have seen him roll dice.

Malaya begins with (10) 15” dice. The 15” guns have a penetration of 5, with the Konig having an armor value of 5. The 15” guns are at long range, though, and can plunge fire, which reduces Konig's armor value by one. This results in no shift due to penetration. Because they are at long range there is a one column shift due to range. This results in a net one column shift, giving Malaya (8 ) 15” dice. The roll results in one five, which causes one hull point of damage. 
Next, Malaya has (3) 6” dice. The 6” guns have a penetration of 1, which would normally result in a four column shift (pen 1 versus armor 5). The 6” guns are at long range and can plunge fire, which again reduces Konig's armor value by one. This results in a three column shift due to penetration.
But again because they are at long range there is a one column shift due to range. This results in a net four column shift, giving Malaya (1) 6” dice. The roll results in a miss.
Malaya's light guns are out of range.

So there's an example of the proposed gunfire mechanic.
Too complex or fiddly for a fleet level game?
Any thoughts?
Kevin

Being as how I'm still waiting on my copy of S: Dn, I can only toss ideas out. smile 
Soul...as most can tell ya, I'm a big fan of simple. *chuckles*  And freak hits and misses are pretty common place in combat due to angles of attack, angles of deflection, finding that spot of metal fatigue, etc. produced by unpredictable conditions. wink 

Oh well...there's always the starship fleet level to work with. *maniacal laughter* :twisted:  :wink:

Soulmage wrote:

OK. . . so it doesn't sound like you're interested in pursuing my idea for a combat mechanic, totally fine.  I'll be happy to help out however I can with you on the one your developing.

But why go back and delete your posts?  You never know when that stuff will spark a different game/discusion.

underling wrote:

So there's an example of the proposed gunfire mechanic.
Too complex or fiddly for a fleet level game?
Any thoughts?

The mechanic looks fine, but ya won't know more until you put 25 to 40 ships on the board and try it out.  Why isn't there a +1 shift for a PEN higher than ARM.  Seems to me that it should be, but I'm not too worried if it's left out.

-Bren

jygro wrote:

The mechanic looks fine, but ya won't know more until you put 25 to 40 ships on the board and try it out.  Why isn't there a +1 shift for a PEN higher than ARM.  Seems to me that it should be, but I'm not too worried if it's left out.

Thanks for asking about this.
Because that actually has been thought about and thought about and thought about.  big_smile
It may end up being put back in.
Kevin

underling wrote:
jygro wrote:

Thanks for asking about this.
Because that actually has been thought about and thought about and thought about.  big_smile
It may end up being put back in.
Kevin

A good question. . .

I would tend to think though that a negative column shift for penetration that was not high enough to penetrate the armor reflects that lack of penetration. 

But if the shell *IS* enough to penetrate the armor, even more penetration is not a good thing.  In fact, too much could actually be a bad thing as the shell would pass right through the ship and not explode.

So, just because the pen value is higher than the armor, does not necessarily equate to more damage.  Make sense?

I guess one question I have, not yet having studied it in detail (you sending those files?). . .

You start out on the left-most column, correct?  What if there are leftward column shifts when you're already on the left-most column?  Can this ever happen?

What about a system where you start out on the left-most column. .  and that is the BEST possible result you can get under ideal circumstances, and there are *ONLY* factors that cause rightward shifts to be considered. 

Its the whole "math should only go in one direction" thing that speeds up play.  Its easier for people to check off a list of factors and move that many columns right, than it is to check off a list of right shifts, check off a list of left shifts, net the two together, and apply that to the sheet.  Make sense?

Soulmage wrote:

A good question. . .
I would tend to think though that a negative column shift for penetration that was not high enough to penetrate the armor reflects that lack of penetration. 
But if the shell *IS* enough to penetrate the armor, even more penetration is not a good thing.  In fact, too much could actually be a bad thing as the shell would pass right through the ship and not explode.
So, just because the pen value is higher than the armor, does not necessarily equate to more damage.  Make sense?

Yep, and I'd like to have a similar effect in GF II. Something to the effect of if the penetration is twice the armor then a minimum amount of damage is done. This would simulate pass through.
That may be a little beyond the scope of this game though.

Soulmage wrote:

I guess one question I have, not yet having studied it in detail (you sending those files?). . .

I e-mailed the files yesterday afternoon.
I don't have your e-mail address here at work. If you want, send an
e-mail to:
kevin.l.smith@spiritaero.com
...and I'll e-mail you the files gain.
I sent the ships for Ulsan, Cape Sarych, and the basic combat document.

Soulmage wrote:

You start out on the left-most column, correct?  What if there are leftward column shifts when you're already on the left-most column?  Can this ever happen?

Currently, once the column is "maxxed (you're in the left most column), you don't get any additional shift.
This is still under consideration, and hopefully where you all come in.  smile

Soulmage wrote:

What about a system where you start out on the left-most column. .  and that is the BEST possible result you can get under ideal circumstances, and there are *ONLY* factors that cause rightward shifts to be considered. 
Its the whole "math should only go in one direction" thing that speeds up play.  Its easier for people to check off a list of factors and move that many columns right, than it is to check off a list of right shifts, check off a list of left shifts, net the two together, and apply that to the sheet.  Make sense?

Currently there are only two positive modifiers: slow target speed (+1 column), and large target size (+1 column).
I know, I know...
We've had the discussion before concerning positive and negative modifiers.  big_smile
I'm an "old school" wargamer, so I don't mind positive and negative mods.
I'd like to keep them as they are (for now, anyway), because the left most column represents a gun dice total with no modifiers, or "average" conditions. And the way I'm looking at this game, I'd like it to be playable even if people don't want to use any modifiers at all. Or maybe even just one or two of them. If we have the columns starting off including close range and large targets, we've already included two of those modifiers.
If I'm understanding the negative only concept correctly.
Again, send me your e-mail to me here at work if you want the files before this evening. Otherwise I can e-mail them from home tonight.
Kevin

Sent my email to your work address. . .

Your column shift modifier logic makes sense. . . so I'll bow to your wisdom on this one.  I still say my GF approach is better though!  smile