Topic: Designing own set of rules...

...and I'd like some help.

The game I'm designing is designed to be both a tactical and strategic game--IOW, I'm building a campaign generator in from the start. I'm aiming for a game similar to the Orbital Wars free rules over at the free wargames rules site but with more emphasis on the tactical aspect so that players can pick up and play a tactical game if they prefer, but can also game a campaign.

The only problem is is that I keep on being sidetracked by Starmada. I had a look at the ship design and too much of it seemed like I'd ripped off Starmada, especially the calculations for thrust and armour, and I'd thought up a way to allow any weapon to have whatever range and TH values, but found it looked too similar to the Compendium. And as for the weapons themselves, at least they're not what I think are blatant rip-offs, but I started off with three different weapon types--cannon, ion cannon and blast cannon--and not have eight different types.

I am quite happy so far with what I've got, especially with a fighter vs fighter system, but I'm just worried about the whole 'looking too much like Starmada' thing.

BTW, I'm using d10s instead of d6s for the combat procedure.

Re: Designing own set of rules...

Potentially silly question...

Why not just use Starmada, and build your campaign system around it?

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Or pick up Squadron Strike, which also has a built in campaign engine...

Sent you a PM...

I'm trying to build a set of rules as freeware (people can download them). I just had a brainbug that hit me as I was looking around the website and saw the rules.

I already use VBAM:SX so I'm not doing this for lack of available rules.

Ken_Burnside wrote:

Or pick up Squadron Strike, which also has a built in campaign engine...

Didn't we create a separate section of the forum for this sort of thing?

big_smile

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

murtalianconfederacy wrote:

I'm trying to build a set of rules as freeware (people can download them). I just had a brainbug that hit me as I was looking around the website and saw the rules.

I didn't mean to squelch the discussion -- I was just wondering, is all.

What would you like help with?

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Various niggling problems. After I wrote the original post I came up with a different way to construct weapons--actually letting people design the base weapons instead of having listed weapons.

I'll write the rules down as I can and list what my problems are:

Turn sequence

1) Movement Orders: Write down the movement orders for the vessels under your command. Also write down missile/rocket fire, determine fighter initiative (d10, highest roll wins and may choose which side goes first) and place any weapons in Anti-Fighter Mode

2) Movement: After movement orders, show the movement orders and then alter the vector of the vessels under your command.

3) Fighter Movement/Combat: After the ships have completed their movement, fighters may move according to initiative and size (heavy--medium--light). Fighters that end up able to attack will do so. If the target is a fighter flight both sides roll on the Dogfight Table. If the target is a ship the fighter flight fires their anti-ship weapons (if any) and the ship may respond with any weapons it has placed in Anti-Fighter mode or any AFB. Resolve any damage from this round immediately

4) Ship Combat: Ships may now initiate combat. Missiles and rockets are launched now and travel their move

To-Hit: Roll a d10 and add modifiers. If the modified roll is equal to or more than the TH value of the weapon it hits.

Penetration: Roll a d10 and add the Penetration value of the weapon. The target also rolls a d10 and adds it to the armour value of the target. If the Penetration roll is more than the Armour roll, the shot penetrates.

All shots are resolved at the end of this turn

5) Damage Resolve Phase: All damage is resolved now. Roll a d10 for each damage point. Any odd numbers indicate a hull hit. In addition, on a 1-3 the armour is reduced by 1, a 4-5 sees the engines hit, a 6-8 sees the weapons hit (choose which one) and a 9-10 hits any special devices the ship has (again, choose)

This phase is one of the problems. Its an easy way to resolve damage, but is it too easy?

Well, brought my draft rules up again today along with my good copy of the Compendium, and both of them are now soaked by rainwater. Typical. As am I, as I do not have a decent bloody raincoat. Absolutely bloody typical. They're legible, but at the moment I am not in the best of moods to write them out so expect an update tomorrow. Its just a good thing I didn't bring up my campaign notes as I was thinking of updating them on the VBAM forums...

Is it still raining?

No, but I lost interest with them and have been doing VBAM campaigns for a while.

That's a kind of rain, I suppose.
It's raining lack of interest...
It happens.