Topic: Fightening II: June 2009

Sav:        Star Wars Clone Troopers.

Anette:    Undecided? There should be enough minis for a Machines split, or there's the Black Watch. Ladies first anyway, take your pick.

Carby:     Greebly aliens courtesy of Kryomek.

James:    Machines.

Mark:      UNE or Infranites.

Sam:       UNE or Infranites.

EDIT: Space Orks, using the Thugs army list? are now in the mix. I still have nightmares about that little racy car-thing with a flamethrower taking out an entire squad.

Steave will be around for a game to test his revision of the Black Watch.

Re: Fightening II: June 2009

I've also thrown in my Orc army or as complete as it is...more complete than last time but still no paint.

Hey, you won't be using lumps of styrofoam as APCs... which I intend to do.

What about fail trees?

"Oh the fail trees will blind the weary driver
And there's nothing else could set fire to this town
There's no change, there's no pace,
Everything within its place
Just makes it harder to believe that she won't be around."

Shhhhh! We don't talk about the fail tree!

I might have mentioned them once, but I think I got away with it.

For those wondering: the garage is OK. Not toasty, nor very cold, it's just not as warm as the rest of the house. Bring thick socks and/or uggies and you should be fine. Rach is quite sensitive to cold so the house is pants-and-t-shirt temperature thanks to a freakin' huge ducted gas heating system. There's no outlet in the garage however.

smokingwreckage wrote:

For those wondering: the garage is OK. Not toasty, nor very cold, it's just not as warm as the rest of the house. Bring thick socks and/or uggies and you should be fine. Rach is quite sensitive to cold so the house is pants-and-t-shirt temperature thanks to a freakin' huge ducted gas heating system. There's no outlet in the garage however.

If it helps keep you warm at all, it's supposed to get to 100 here (Wichita, Ks) today.  wink
And actually for the next couple of days.
I don't think we'll be needing the uggies.
Kevin

That's because your weather is backwards and upside down!

It's been a good winter so far, cool and wet. Love it.

Fail tree wont be making an appearance...but fail APC will be smile...

Fail APC would be taking 2 APCs with killer AI weapons and no anti-tank <.<   >.>

It was looking good for a couple of turns there!

smokingwreckage wrote:

It was looking good for a couple of turns there!

Is this the only AAR we're gonna get?

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

I'll try to get a chat going with the others. Due to having CFS, just keeping up with the game as it goes is pretty much me running at cognitive capacity, keeping notes would be beyond me! I think next time I'll take a snapshot at the start, and then at the end of each turn or something! This is roughly how my first fight went:

AAR1: Rob and Sam versus James and Carby. 2000 pts per side on the Badlands table (this time I got the terrain pretty balanced). UNE mechanised infantry face off against a massive Machine horde.

The (highly experimental) UNE force consists of a full section of Assault Troopers in an APC mounting twin auto-RAM lasers, and a full Recce Commando section in an identical APC. The Machines have fielded a squad of G1 Nightmares with Deadbolts, and another squad with Scatterguns, backed up by an ad-hoc unit of 4 Sniperbots (Wasp missiles) with 4 Predators (Ice Rifles), and a vehicular contingent consisting of a Dreadbot (mecha,Dirge Artillery Missile plus Twin Hornet Pods) and 2 Mk3 Assault Fiends (AnimeMecha with Deadbolt/Thumper GL combo and Hellfire Cannon).

The only real threats to vehicles on either side are the Snipers and the limited ammo Hornet Pods- yeah. I think you can see the problem with my one-trick-pony APC rush, here. The idea was to mow down squads one by one and then, assuming the ADR hasn't taken care of my problems for me, to ram any enemy vehicles...

Turn One: not much action, everybody scurries for position- there's medium cover scattered down the left side, the far right side is a lovely light-cover forest from end to end, and between them is a shelled-out factory blocking LOS. The machines and UNE alike manouvre through medium cover or take cover in the fire-shadow of the factory.

Turn two: APC 2 gets an initiative flipflop (last on the previous turn, first on this turn!) and mows down all but two Sniperbots, who return fire for a total of 2 DC. No sweat! APC 1 turns and heads left with the intent of annihilating the Scattergun squad.

Turn three: The Scattergun squad take a mauling but unsurprisingly don't break. Instead they scatter as widely as possible to foil spread-fire from the lethal Dual Auto-Ram. APC1 continues in pursuit. APC2 declares stationary and disgorges Assault Troopers, who plan to use FR4 Wrist Rockets to wipe out the Deadbolt squad. Mk3 fiends jockey for position and the Dreadbot jumps out from behind the factory to punch 3 neat holes in the APC. Then it direct-fires a Dirge rocket (4"7+) into the Assault Troopers, still clustered round the smoking ruins of their fly ride- and James rolls about all 8s. The squad is virtually annihilated. The Assault Fiend that had been charging them finds itself without anything to rend or tear!

Turn 4: The poor Assault fiend closes with another trooper and finally gets to rip someone in half. He does so. Wishes really do come true! The Assault Troopers are pretty much gone by now. Rob takes APC 1 around and drops his Commandos in an attempt to salvage some glory, but the Machines are cowering in terror. Really they are. They begged for mercy! But the callous humans mercilessly sprayed the area with their own entrails, or something like that. I forget. I was too distraught, cradling my Assault Trooper miniatures in my arms and crying, to clearly comprehend Rob's valiant rearguard action.

In short, we got owned.

How the Clone Army went - the good and the bad sad

Game One: Clone Army vs Orc Army (My Wife). (A Win)
(both sides overspent on weapons so it balanced out roughly)(No ADR was played)

The clone army moved in on the Orcs using their fast moving speeder bikes and AT-PT's, effectivly cleaning up the green hoards runts and Grunts in very short order a few well placed shots from a unit of clone troopers cleaned up the rest. one speeder bike and several AT-PT's did bite the dust from some extremely well placed sharp shooting from the Orcs (even thought they weren't using anti-vec weapons.

this left 3 rather determined Killer Kans to clean up the remains of the clone army, having very few heavy assets on the board their was some concern from the clone commander that he would be able to take the Killer kans down fortunatly severl of the  clone troopers were armed with PLX-1 anti vechile rockets and the troopers were able to wipe out the killer kans at fairly long range without losing a trooper.

Game Two: Clone Army vs Sams Nasty Troopers??
(ADR was on)

~Roughly turn one~
An early almost fatal tactical error early on saw Sam's nasty APC take out two AT-PT's without a shot being fired from either one (I was gambling on being able to use fludity but my luck was holding...). A brillant stroke from Sam non the less. The supporting clone troopers though got some good solid hits on the APC using the PLX-1 Anti-vechile rockets although not enough to take it out, they did cause it some major damage. Two speeder Bikes and the remaining two AT-PT's meanwhile moved up the left flank to try and pin several units of infantry up in the deployment zone, the remaining unit of clone troopers fired on a light recon infantry unit but they were solid in their stance and remained active even through heavy casualties. The Jedi meanwhile proceeded to run up the right flank to try and engage the enemy units in HTH while being pinned by the speeders. Sam's unit of troopers managed to drop 1 of the speeders with a nasty one shot rocket barrage.

~Roughly turn 2~
The clone army stuck the field having made a very determined ADR roll. The Jedi continued to sprint up the right flank but due to covering fire by Sam's troopers was unable to make the most of his speed to get into a position to engage them in HTH. The Remaining clone troopers armed with the anti-vechile rockets again hit Sam's APC but missed the two AT-PT's diverted and used there anti-vechile rockets to finally knocking it out but couldn't destroying it or damage the troopers inside. The 2nd speederbike got taken down by the remains of the light recon unit after it missed it's shot badly. The Jedi moved up the right flank again but couldn't engage due to buildings and cover fire arcs. The APC then unloaded the contents an elite unit of nasties. A unit of clone troopers attempted to cover fire against them but didn't manage to hit any.   

It was at about this point I knew things were going badly...

~Roughly turn 3~   
The clone army having passed ADR again with no penalty were a little slow of the mark in turn 3. One of Sam's elite troopers moved across with a flame thrower and proceeded to use it against the Jedi...he called on the force but for some reason it failed him in his time of need and he turned into a glowing pile of ash 

Okay my bad I rolled a 1 a 3+ would have saved his butt

. This was quiet a large phsycological blow for the remains of the army. Sam's last remaining man in his recon unit proceeded to open fire on a AT-PT and took it out, the remains of clone trooper unit one attempted to engage the elite Trooper unit from the APC killing two of them but died to a man in the returning volley of fire. The remained of Sam's units proceeded to charge down the road towards the remains of the clone trooper unit 2. One AT-PT remained in relative safety behind a building

~Roughly turn 4~
the clone army passing ADR again

-2 penalty this time

. The remaining AT-PT stepped out and attempted to fire on the elite unit but his targeting was a little off and he missed the returning volley of fire proceeded to melt the craft into a molten puddle of goo. The last 6 clone troopers tried to make a mad dash through some open terrain to engage the elite unit again

Really wanted them dead...

Sam was covering with one of his other units and at extreme range some nice shooting was carried out and every clone trooper to a man was cut down and killed.

I wasn't entirely happy with either game;
What went well:
~ The fast moving speeder bikes caused some major havoc and concern in both games even though they were very fragile.
~ The AT-PT's were neither good or bad but they did suffer from some very bad luck in both games being taken out with rolls of 10 when only 1-2 shots used against them. Overall though i think their okay.
~ The regular clone troopers were okay but seemed a little costly for their fragility, Gyro-stabilizers rock and fluidity is extremely handy assuming you get a card come out soon enough.
~ they stuck to the field to the last clone which was a plus.

Badly:
~ Jedi got toasted for 217 points to do nothing kinda sucked he needs more speed and Sam suggested a cdw smoke to help conceal, I'll need to re-tool him.
~ It's really tough taking out heavily armored vechiles with troopers and AT-PT's I basically had to use the firepower from my whole army to destroy Sam's one APC and then still had 4 units of troops to face.
~ Dice are not my friend smile

Sam feel free to throw anything in if you remember it differently, Hopefully we'll be able to get hold of some pictures to post.