> survive and get "X" number off the board. The "bad guys" are
> trying to stop the party.
> I remember thinking to myself as we were playing that the
> mechanics were okay... but the MJ-12 could do better. *grin*
> What I was envisioning is that the scenarios could be set up
> in such a way that existing commercial dungeon tiles could be
> used. In other words, all of those Warhammer Quest or
> Advanced Heroquest, or any other dungeon tiles that people
> have collected over the years could be used.
>
> So the question is... is there a desire to see yet ANOTHER
> dungeon bash game?
> Just curious.

Yes, please.

smile

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Re: Dungeon bash games

Ooo! Ooo! Me too! With a campaign system. Anyone ever play Space Crusade?

If you're going to do a dungeon crawl game, please include some nice, complete design-your-own rules for monsters, traps and treasures.  That way we can customize to our hearts' content, and build dungeons that work with our own minis collections.  After all, not like you'll be selling figs yourselves, right?

Besides, high-utility customizable design rules are pretty much what we've all come to expect from MJ12 products anyway...  smile

Rich

hundvig wrote:

If you're going to do a dungeon crawl game, please include some nice, complete design-your-own rules for monsters, traps and treasures.  That way we can customize to our hearts' content, and build dungeons that work with our own minis collections.

Hmmm..that'd be cool....

hundvig wrote:

After all, not like you'll be selling figs yourselves, right?

Eh....perhaps not minis, but figure packs cold be done - either flat counters or standup tent-style.

hundvig wrote:

Besides, high-utility customizable design rules are pretty much what we've all come to expect from MJ12 products anyway...  smile

Hmmm... who's driving this train? I could do some of the graphics if need be - assuming you can deal with anime style for the most part.

thedugan wrote:

Hmmm... who's driving this train? I could do some of the graphics if need be - assuming you can deal with anime style for the most part.

I'd be up for doing some fantasy art for a project like this - someone please let me know should it get underway!

Josh

I might be able to submit some works for your perusal.

here's what I had as an idea during the Frag--ZOMBIES! game at Die Con today.
Initiative -- something to do with dice or pillbugs
Combat --
     Players roll to hit each other
     players roll to save
     players die
respawn players come back at the start of the dungeon with full stats

basically it's a fantasy frag.

I haven't gotten farther than that yet.

art would be cool.

based on hexes (of course) but could use squares i guess as a last resort

um.  monsters can spawn randomly or be "set" in a certain room.

I like cheese.
[/code]

jimbeau wrote:

here's what I had as an idea during the Frag--ZOMBIES! game at Die Con today.
Initiative -- something to do with dice or pillbugs
Combat --
     Players roll to hit each other
     players roll to save
     players die
respawn players come back at the start of the dungeon with full stats

basically it's a fantasy frag.

I haven't gotten farther than that yet.

art would be cool.

based on hexes (of course) but could use squares i guess as a last resort

um.  monsters can spawn randomly or be "set" in a certain room.
I like cheese.
[/code]

http://www.rathergood.com/first_drink/

-Substitute 'Caffeinated Beverage of Choice' for Beer, and you've got me pegged..

From the Digest.............................................................

Kevin Smith wrote:

Well, ultimately Dan's the driver.

But I am in the process of putting together a playtest document and
getting that sent to him.

My idea would be to have it squares based, with boards similar to the stuff WotC uses for their D&D miniatures game.

My initial idea for combat is to have it d6 based, with target numbers ranging from 2+ to 6+.

So a model's close and ranged combat skills would be represented by a number of dice (say 1 to 5) and a target number (2+ to 6+).

Armor would be a save repreented by a target number (again 2+ to 6+), and be in effect against each "hit."

Remember that these ideas are still very much in the "alpha" stage.

The initial plan is to have activation be by unit instead of by model, which is a departure from the normal dungeon bash mechanic.

I'm convinced that this approach will work though, until possibly proven otherwise by the extensive playtesting that MJ-12 is well known for. *grin*

And now that I know I have a job come Monday, I'll be a little more
motivated to get working on this.
More later.
Kevin

....................................................................................................

We've got 3 people that can draw purty pictures. Maybe we can each 'adopt' a 'race' or 'faction', to give the game a different look for each one......

I like the moon....

http://www.rathergood.com/moon_song/

How bout an opposed roll? Attacker and defender roll, compare successes?

Anything but roll, hit, roll, wound, roll, armour? I can overlook it for Starmada but I really don't like it. It consumes time that could be spent racking up kills, strategizing, or drinking stuff with caffeine (and maybe some alcohol) in it...

And I know you guys hate using the same mechanic twice, but wouldn't ARES basic system work well for this, or is it too complicated?

Howabout FUDGE dice.........

> -----Original Message-----
> From: mj12games@yahoogroups.com
> [mailto:mj12games@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of kevinsmith67206
> For starters, I'm envisioning a variant of a new skirmish
> system I've been working on.
> The core mechanic for any type of attack is attacker rolls
> and generates one or more successes. The defender rolls it
> armor dice to generate one or more successes, which block the
> attacker's successes on a one for one basis. Any excess
> attacking successes turn into wounds on a one for one basis.
> This system would be similar to Heroquest, Battlemasters,
> Heroscape, Fury of the Clansman, etc.
> Now, a variant on the armor save may emerge where the
> defender rolls a number of armor dice equal to the number of
> hits generated by an attack.
> This is still being negotiated. smile

Yes. Negotiation is good. smile

Seriously -- while I like the idea of a dungeon-bash game, I'm not necessarily wedded to any particular mechanic, so debate away!

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

I'd like a dungeon bash game as well. No specific comments on the game mechanics, but if it's going to use a board it should be squares, maybe off-set squares so that you can still touch six opposing squares at once. Hexes are only good for running in one dimension. You know, you can go up or down easily...or on diagonals to the side. And the game should have free printable dungeon boards right on the web site. And of course it has to support all of my favourite figures.  big_smile

This was fun, but needs some work.

http://mj12games.com/forum/download.php?id=25

jim

Actually, I like the idea of a dungeon style game that can be played by two to six players, where there isn't a dedicated GM....... Basically a random dungeon ( using tiles, I have several links for various free ones) and random tables of monsters. I love the idea of roaming around and smashing things, but in normal RP, I end up as GM 99% of the time.  I would love to contribute to this......

John

Well...

Contribute! smile

My wife thinks the world is poised for a really good Dungeon bash game and I have to agree.  $150 for Nin Gonost is ridiculous.  I don't think people need all that extra crap and I think the world is ready for a "universal" dungeon bash game.

Where else but mj12 can that happen?

Post your ideas man!

Well, we could take the Zombies approach, where each tile turns up inhabited by a set number of monsters. Now, do we want the game to be adversarial, where each player might be entrusted to moving the monsters against the other players at the end of his/her turn, or co-op, where the monsters move "automatically" according to simple rules?

smokingwreckage wrote:

Well, we could take the Zombies approach, where each tile turns up inhabited by a set number of monsters. Now, do we want the game to be adversarial, where each player might be entrusted to moving the monsters against the other players at the end of his/her turn, or co-op, where the monsters move "automatically" according to simple rules?

Rather than a set number of monsters...depending on the terrain/ features of the tile use a two die system.  The chance of an encounter is a set number on a set die size.  The other die is ran against an encounter table.

So if on/in a cavern tile there is a 4 in 6 chance of an encounter happening.  The encounter table has a range of monsters or events...so say a d20 is rolled and comes up "bat swarm" or "cave in".  This adds replayability...which can be added to by providing additional encounter tables with possible supplements.  It also prevents the "meat grinder burn-out" syndrome since you won't ALWAYS have an encounter.

My half-cent.  :wink:

What if there were cards? Say a Bless deck and a Curse deck. Each player gets some and can play them on other payers? This could add some monsters and alter gameplay. Maybe a setup where you can't play either type of card on yourself... OR you can but only if you play a card of the same deck on another player as well... or something?

A combination die and card system would work... if we go just cards, at least for encounter stuff, then you have a copy of Warhammer Quest.......

I am perculating a die system right now......
I'll post it when I get the details hammered out.
On a side note, I want to leave this game open ended, if possible, as I would love to add free downloadable add ons for our players.

In addition, I want this set up for single player play (random dungeon and monsters.... set by a level.......)

I also have the glimmers of an idea that would allow an open skill system based on the level of a character.....

Definitely working on it now.....LOL

John

smokingwreckage wrote:

What if there were cards? Say a Bless deck and a Curse deck. Each ...?

The mechanic from the Dungeoneer game (and it works pretty well) has one deck with both blesses and curses and as heroes move about the dungeon, I gain both types of points.  the bless points are used to find equipment and helpful gear (all cards have a certain point value on it).  The curse points are used by other players to affect other players.

now I like the idea of a deck to simulate moving around in a dungeon, but how are you going to account for the crazy miniatures/monsters that people are going to include.  Also, a 'customizable deck sounds too much like a collectable game which might turn off too many players.

-Bren

Nahuris wrote:

A combination die and card system would work... if we go just cards, at least for encounter stuff, then you have a copy of Warhammer Quest.......

I am perculating a die system right now......
I'll post it when I get the details hammered out.
On a side note, I want to leave this game open ended, if possible, as I would love to add free downloadable add ons for our players.

In addition, I want this set up for single player play (random dungeon and monsters.... set by a level.......)

I also have the glimmers of an idea that would allow an open skill system based on the level of a character.....

Definitely working on it now.....LOL

I have been in search of this type of game for a while.  I'd like to see a game where a player creates a group of heroes (with allies and mercs) and the group heads into dungeons and the wilderness for adventure!

I definitely would like to see some type of open skill system (using the dice from Ares), a way to advance the characters (and warbands).  I'd lastly like to see something that everyone is a player and that the monsters and the dungeon is not populated and controlled by anyone (meaning all players are playing warbands).

I like the idea of using the mechanics from Ares (perhaps in a simplied form).  I had started to work on this idea, but haven't got anywhere due to some game issues that I couldn't work out.

-Bren

Well, largely monster encounters come from some sort of threat matrix/ dice system. Bless and curse are perks and pains to trade. Maybe you can up the threat level of the next room , maybe you can up the treasure, what I'm really after here is that each player has a small number of cards and can only play them on others. The cards bend circumstance rather than controlling the game, but MOSTLY it's about game theory. Do you screw the other guy over in the hope that he'll be put back a few points, or do you fear his revenge?

I don't think they should make or break a player except under the most perfect conditions, but they should enable players to influence who is in the lead without direct character-on-character violence. Then whoever ends up with the most points in a session gets a little bonus or two for the next game... and for the next game ONLY.

I like the idea of using the mechanics from Ares (perhaps in a simplied form).  I had started to work on this idea, but haven't got anywhere due to some game issues that I couldn't work out.

If you want to use the ARES system, then just use it, it works well for this type of combat.

We've used a points system for "experience" that maps to Combat Rating. If you win a combat against a monster of 100pts then you get to add 1 point to your experience.  From there you spend those points to up your stats. 

e.g. say Dan the barbarian (39pts) killls 5 orcs (19pts each) and 1 ogre (125pts). Dan (the player) can re-build the barbarian character up to 41 points.

Eventually, the barbarian will earn enough points to truly become "heroic" if he lives that long.

I think this would work really well.

However, I personally would start with a simpler mechanic than ARES as the game should be fast and easy to play.

I am thinking a simple experience chart with a number of combat dice based on level, where each would count as a hit or miss.... hits would do one wound per successful die roll..... with a base of 3 classes.
Fighters, sneaks, and casters.....  (I need better names, but for now, these will work) Casters would be path based, with options, to include the summoning of a minion. (Dark Path mages could summon a skeleton minion, ect.)

I have the basic dice work done, and am working on the armor modifications....but I think I know how that is going to work.......

This game is going to be fast and simple, but with a lot of variety. Monsters will be worth a set experience level, and the experience points can be spent on either levels (adding more hit points and combat dice) or skills (adding mods to help elsewhere)

A skilled adventurer would know how to utilize both. Skills are going to be set up on skill trees, so that really advanced skills have lesser skill pre-requisites. Spells would be handled as skills, with the same restrictions. Casting a spell would require that you succeed in a dice roll with enough successes (some fighter skills could be set up this way, and almost count as "spell trees")

That's where I am at the moment.

John

I would think that each base class could be path based.  Fighters have Barbarian, Holy Knight, Mercenary, Soldier, etc...

Sneaks have Assassin, Thief, Scout, Spy, etc...

Those could work as the names of the skill trees....
Same for the mages, ect.

That would also allow you to use your favorite figs for players.

John