Topic: QL thoughts/questions/suggestions

I've read it through and played it a few times now and have a few questions on adding some further options.

I don't like that the game doesn't scale (ie you have to play a 300 VP game). Can the rolls for CP scale for bigger VP games? by rolling an extra 1d6 for every 150 VPs? What would be a good solution for the first turn CP roll? All d6s become d3s?

I'm a big fan of Starmada's customization, being unable to change the to-hit roll in QL bugs me. Can the ORAT formula be modified to allow for 3+ and 4+ to hit by changing the 2 to 4 and 3 respectively? Strike would confer a +1 to hit.

I think the game suffers from the lack of an overwatch mechanic. Any suggestions on how to implement something like that? I was thinking of an overwatch order that lets a unit fire on an enemy moving within range and LoS of it.

Re: QL thoughts/questions/suggestions

Dave wrote:

I don't like that the game doesn't scale (ie you have to play a 300 VP game). Can the rolls for CP scale for bigger VP games? by rolling an extra 1d6 for every 150 VPs? What would be a good solution for the first turn CP roll? All d6s become d3s?

For command, I would suggest 1 die per 200 VPs (round up). During the first turn, discard half the dice (rounded down). EXAMPLE: 800-point game, roll 4 dice. During the first turn, discard two dice.

I'm a big fan of Starmada's customization, being unable to change the to-hit roll in QL bugs me. Can the ORAT formula be modified to allow for 3+ and 4+ to hit by changing the 2 to 4 and 3 respectively? Strike would confer a +1 to hit.

I think this is best dealt with via special traits (i.e. "accurate" units would get +1, "inaccurate" ones would get -1).

I think the game suffers from the lack of an overwatch mechanic. Any suggestions on how to implement something like that? I was thinking of an overwatch order that lets a unit fire on an enemy moving within range and LoS of it.

I would implement something similar to the "Hold" action in ARES. When activated, the "Hold" chit is flipped face-up and remains on the board. During your opponent's turn, you may discard this chit to either (a) move up to the unit's first speed value, or (b) make one attack at 5+.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Thanks cricket.

What would you rate the mods for accurate/inaccurate? 1.3/.7?

Of the top of my head...

Accurate: x1.4
Inaccurate: x0.6

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com