Topic: Turbulent Oceans

I've had this idea kicking around for a few months of sort of a sci-fi underwater sub combat game.  Right now just thought and a few scribbled notes are all I've got to show for it..  The basic "image" I had for the game came when imagining a domed city on the ocean floor with a smaller force and outlying towers of weapons and sensors fighting off a larger attacking force.  It would be a blind game as the subs are plotted and not placed until sensor contact.  (Admittedly it's going to take a moderator or a trusting group.)  Weapons would be mostly torps and short ranged guns (with hypercavitational ammo).  If there's any interest I could post some of my meandering thoughts and notes.  If nothing else the hardest part may be done... I like "Turbulent Oceans" as a title.

Re: Turbulent Oceans

Sounds like it could be kinda cool. 

One of the things probably first off the cork is making the game less static and allowing for unit design/ campaign style play as well as the scenario outlined, increasing the appeal and re-playability. smile

Cool sounding title too btw. wink

I'd definitely want unit design (as well as torp design).  Was just giving the sort of daydream image that started me down this road.

Sounds very intresting, looking forward to see what you got.

As long as I can make my bio-engineneerd Whales, with sonic cannons. I will play it.

:roll: What?

Also have you seen this?
http://www.deepangel.com/html/news___press.html

Might be able to stir up some ideas.

The first thing that came to mind other than "Sounds awesome", was that there should be rules for both double-blind (As you described) and standard play, as it can be difficult for me to get more than one person over. Plus, the non-blind version would work for quicker play.

EDIT: Something that actually came up on SCN. YOu should be careful with a detection-based system, because there's always the possibility of "Well, looks like I can't play this time."

Secondly, a mechanic that comes to mind is the "Pressure threshold.": if the hull of a sub is weakened enough by weapons fire, the water pressure could cause damage to the sub as well. Of course, this largely depends on the depth that's applied to a particular battle.

Faustus21 wrote:

Sounds very intresting, looking forward to see what you got.

As long as I can make my bio-engineneerd Whales, with sonic cannons. I will play it.

:roll: What?

Also have you seen this?
http://www.deepangel.com/html/news___press.html

Might be able to stir up some ideas.

I've seen the Deep Angel stuff before.  Very cool and makes me want to add some sort of fighter (normally I don't care for fighters in ship to ship games, they never seem to balance out right.) 

Funny thing... I've wondered about adding biologicals in some way.  After all I is it too much to ask for sharks with some frickin' lasers on their foreheads?

RiflemanIII wrote:

The first thing that came to mind other than "Sounds awesome", was that there should be rules for both double-blind (As you described) and standard play, as it can be difficult for me to get more than one person over. Plus, the non-blind version would work for quicker play.

EDIT: Something that actually came up on SCN. YOu should be careful with a detection-based system, because there's always the possibility of "Well, looks like I can't play this time."

I have to admit that I keep having second thoughts about going double blind.  I wanted part of the atmosphere to be like playing the old Red Storm Rising game by Microprose.  To be in a situation of, " I know he's got to be about there.  So I'll fire off a torp near there and let it go active and flush him."  But thinking it through I'm having to make some assumptions I'm not wild about.  No range mods for sensors for one.  And the playing area's going to be pretty sparse starting out.  And plotting for hidden units can be a real hastle.

The main issue I think is that instead of just the platform being responsible for all of the sensor work, the torps themselves should have a sensor rating to determine their actual chance to hit.  I'll try to post on outline version in a bit how I imagine sensor and combat working.

RiflemanIII wrote:

Secondly, a mechanic that comes to mind is the "Pressure threshold.": if the hull of a sub is weakened enough by weapons fire, the water pressure could cause damage to the sub as well. Of course, this largely depends on the depth that's applied to a particular battle.

"Pressure Threshold"  I'm liking that idea.  If we built it into the construction rules for subs to be rated at various depths and as they take damage that rating drops.  Maybe linked to Hull Points or maybe via criticals.

Well, in my experience, double-blind tends to work much better for computer than on the tabletop. A computer can easily track all of these things, and is utterly impartial, despite how it may sometimes may seem in an especially rough game of Steel Panthers. smile

Actually one thing I saw over at the SCN forum I found rather intriguing was to have units pre-plot movement at the beginning of the turn and forego initiative.  I could see something like that working well with your game proposal. big_smile

You could run the game on sheets of hex paper until units are detected then place them on the main board.  When sensor contact is lost, a position marker would be placed at point of last contact and plotting would continue as normal.  This would provide a continuity of play through the game while switching between detected and hidden states I think.  smile

Hull crush...if the hull has a strength rating and each certain amount of damage lowers this...with the rating equalling 100 feet of depth per point or some such number I can see pressure implosion occurring rather easily.  "popped him like balloon!"

go0gleplex wrote:

Actually one thing I saw over at the SCN forum I found rather intriguing was to have units pre-plot movement at the beginning of the turn and forego initiative.  I could see something like that working well with your game proposal. big_smile

That's more or less what's already done in Starmada X, so it's a tried-and-true thing.

Also, as for the scene imagined in the opening post, I do believe there was a scene like that in Blue Submarine No. 6.

RE: Detection...

A halfway point would be to not have movement double-blind, but require detection in order to attack a target...

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

I must admit, some of you guys do have the ability to come up with some weird sh... stuff.
wink
Kevin

cricket wrote:

RE: Detection...

A halfway point would be to not have movement double-blind, but require detection in order to attack a target...

I think that's where I'm falling toward right now.  Sensor rolls to generate a good enough firing solution over time.  Although you can fire with a lower solution and take a modifier on the to hit.

The sonic whale thing was an idea from a old-ish anime called Blue Sub 6.

I think the Dection thing is a better idea than full double blind. (Only tried once with the old harpoon rules, kinda fun but needs 3 peeps to work well.)
If you still want to add a bit of complexity stealth, then allow the units to move as blips untill detected (I.e rough contact. But you don't know if its a weak old sub, or modern HK untill you get closer.) You could also borrow an idea from some other games, and allow fake contacts to moved untill a sensor roll succeds and removes them.

Ok.... here's how I imagine the detection side of things being handled in a non blind game.

Every sub has a Noise Rating with a basic value assigned to each hull.  It gets modified every turn by the speed at which the sub is moving, weaponry fired, etc.  Each sub then has sensor dice that they allocate to attempt to detect bogeys.  Every hit increases the firing solution versus that target.  That would mean having to keep track over time of the firing solution versus the targets tracked.  A sensor turn with no hits on the target would drop the solution down a level. 

And unless someone has a good real world or PSB reason for subs to be able to communicate with each other their firing solutions then each sub would be attempting to track targets independently. 

Torps would be the main weapons with each one stated out with Warhead, Speed, Endurance, Sensor and their own Noise Rating.  When a torp is launched it travels to a designated area and then goes active.  It starts rolling it's own sensor rating to acquire the target modified by the firing solution of the launching sub when launched.  (Unless it's wire guided.)  If it acquires a target it will close to hit unless it's shot down, spoofed or runs out of Endurance. 

Sorry if any of these seems meandering or not quiet well thought out.  I'm still thinking out loud at this phase.

RiflemanIII wrote:
go0gleplex wrote:

That's more or less what's already done in Starmada X, so it's a tried-and-true thing.

Also, as for the scene imagined in the opening post, I do believe there was a scene like that in Blue Submarine No. 6.

I'm wondering if pulsed movement wouldn't be better.  Would allow defensive fire during the movement against torps and recycle rates for the tubes.

I'm going to have to look into this Blue Submarine.  To Netflix I go...

Quite a fun little movie but a bet heavy on the philosphy side sometimes.

I think for a sub game pulsed movement is a must, increases tension. And stops the teleporting phenomen.

If you can find a way to do pulsed movement that won't make my head explode, all the better. The three games I've encountered that use it (Star Fleet Battles, Attack Vector: Tactical, SITS) have been of such an extraordinary complexity, that I've just thrown up my hands and given up.

Use command points to determine the number of pulses.  So if a max. of 10 exists and you have four subs in combat with command ratings of 3, 5, 7, and 9 respectively they would perform actions 30%, 50%, 70%, and 90% of the turn respectively, conversationally speaking. 

It should keep things simple, intuitive, and give a great deal of meaning to having the more experienced officers and crews.

I like this idea, clean simple.

So a sub would move based on it's speed and the current pulse.  Say 10 pulses and speed 5 would move every other pulse.  But it would only be able to do an action based on it's command rating?  Is that where you're going googleplex? 

I never would have thought of that command rating idea.  It's brilliant.

aresian wrote:

So a sub would move based on it's speed and the current pulse.  Say 10 pulses and speed 5 would move every other pulse.  But it would only be able to do an action based on it's command rating?  Is that where you're going googleplex? 

I never would have thought of that command rating idea.  It's brilliant.

something like that, yes.   Only I think I wouldn't have the sub move on every impulse, but rather have a choice to move all or part of its movement, so with a move of 5 it could move 2, target lock/fire, move 1, launch counter measures, reload tubes, move 2 more, lock and fire again...or however your mechanics work out.

and thanks...I get lucky every now and then. wink

go0gleplex wrote:

something like that, yes.   Only I think I wouldn't have the sub move on every impulse, but rather have a choice to move all or part of its movement, so with a move of 5 it could move 2, target lock/fire, move 1, launch counter measures, reload tubes, move 2 more, lock and fire again...or however your mechanics work out.

Love it. Gonna steal it.

smile

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

A lot of this idea was done with the computer game Submarine Titans... and done well. One of the things that we will probably want to keep track of is depth... especially with thermal-clines (I think that's how you spell it)

Basically, if you have water moving in a current that is a different temperature, the point where you go from one temp to the other creates sonar ghosts..... our modern subs use it to help camoflage, as it is possible to use the said current and temp change to hide behind..... Subs do it a lot with the Gulf Stream in the Atlantic.

John

Nahuris wrote:

A lot of this idea was done with the computer game Submarine Titans... and done well. One of the things that we will probably want to keep track of is depth... especially with thermal-clines (I think that's how you spell it)

Basically, if you have water moving in a current that is a different temperature, the point where you go from one temp to the other creates sonar ghosts..... our modern subs use it to help camoflage, as it is possible to use the said current and temp change to hide behind..... Subs do it a lot with the Gulf Stream in the Atlantic.

John

Actually, the thermocline serves to 'adjust' the angle at which the water reflects sound, throwing off the "line of sight" of the sound waves. One level might be compensated for, but two or more...iffy.

...I wasn't a Sonarman, but I did serve aboard SSN 692 for just over 5 years. I picked up a few things.
:-)