Topic: short battle report

OK --

I revamped my mechs because I wasn't getting the features out of them at tech 5 that I wanted, so I devised a worksheet -- figuring armor point cost per size (and whether or not Superior Alloy is used), MP, EMs, HPs, and all the assorted kit I'm allowing in the setting.  And I've statted up five German and four Russian walker models.

I've got a bunch of CAV minis (x2 Butcher, x1 Starhawk V, x1 Thug, x2 Gladiator II, x2 Khan, x1 Panther, x2 Spider, x1 Falcon, x1 Dictator II, x2 Naginata tanks and some CAS).  And it's nice to have another game that I can use to play them.

Anyway, a game last night involved i an unequal duel between attacking German units and defending Russians.

Germans --
Raubtier command Mech
Rasend heavy Mech
Henker assault mechs (x2)
Totenkreb support/arty mech (x1)

Russians
Bakharov siege tanks (x2)
Medved heavy mechs (x2)
Infantry squads (x4)
Chance of some CAS support (x2 Kikyu minis statted up with air to ground munitions)

The battle highlights (as I can't break everything down).

The Henker assault mechs are slow (3 MPs), so to cover their advance, the Rasend -- a heavy mech with Germany's first energy cannons slung over its shoulders, worked up the highground, took up overwatch positions and got ready to snipe at those Russian assets it could see.  The Rasend's PkPs have great range, and no mods, as I figure a laser shouldn't HAVE range mods.  Its first attack saw it lock on to a Bakharov, even with the tank in partial cover due to its cratering charge, and damage its turret -- although the tank wasn't killed yet.  The Rasend had to let its guns charge up for a full turn before it could fire again. As it wasn't in Russian gun range, no real reason to move it.

The Totenkreb scurried up to cover in a patch of forested terrain, but couldn't achieve a lock on with its IF weaponry.  Not yet.

FYI -- The Raubtier was giving us an edge through its C3 system -- which always helps when yer assaulting  big_smile

The Henkers were starting to close with the Russian line when the two Medveds rushed forward -- Russian mechs are well suited at knife fighting, while the Germans typically have a range advantage.  One of the Henkers lost a LEG, effectively removing it from the fight,  but as damage is simultaneous, the Medved was screwed .....as one of the weapons the Henker uses is a shoulder mounted missile launcher capable of lobbing EMP warheads (I have a set arsenal for each faction, and one benefit the Germans have is uniformity in their missile's HP and range values, meaning a lot of missile launchers can choose from a variety of warheads and not affect their point costs). 

The Henker's 37mm rotary autocannons mangled one of the Medved's arms, and the EMP shut it down for the next turn.  Which allowed the Totenkreb to saturate the stricken walker with Mordskerl mortar rounds -- blowing it into scrap as its munitions holed the Russian mech's power plant.

Things were really starting to go down hill now as the Rasend also managed to polish off its first Bakharov.

The balance swung back into the enemy's favor as a random reinforcement roll finally saw a pair of heavily armored ground attack aircraft howl overhead and plaster the Rasend with cluster munitions.  1 piece of equipment, a weapon and an arm were all perforated by shrapnel -- which didn't kill it, but removed it as a worthwhile asset.  That, and the fact that it got knocked on its can.

Back and forth.....the surviving Henker and Raubtier tore the remaining Medved to pieces........

But then time ran out as my opponent had to head out.  Pretty much a draw.  I had killed three assets outright (Bakharov, and two Medveds) in return for having two mechs crippled.....but victory for me depended on actually entering the designated victory zone on the board.  The Wolk class recon mech had also used its jump capabilities to get within range of the Totenkreb, which could have proved awkward. 

So, bloody little battle.  But the game got high marks, especially now that we're using an MP value of 1 for the infantry.

I have the German mechs finalized in terms of presentation and fluff (along with the recommended CAV minis to support them).  I'll attach a word file if folks want them, along with the worksheets that validate their math  smile

Matt

Re: short battle report

SERVE IT UP MATT!   big_smile

German Walkers attached.

I can add the conventional AFVs and all the Russians if folks are interested. 

Working on the timeline.

Matt

Here are the Russians statted up so far. 

I still have about 2 more mech classes for each faction to do, but there's only so much I wanna paint up before this weekend. 

I'm trying for a theme, design wise, for each.  The Germans have more flexibility.  Their missiles can be interchanged and reach farther.  They have a command model.  Their targeting is better and their heat output lower.

The Russians are firepower heavy.  EMs have been traded for hardpoints in a lot of cases.  Their heat ouput is a good bit higher, but they can balance this out, for a couple of turns, with decoy flares.  Missiles possess shorter range, and basically are "all or nothing" affairs.  Their targeting systems are not as good.  But the Katemir is faster than anything the Germans have, and so is the Wolk. 

Anyway, we've had fun over the course of a few playtest sessions  big_smile.  Observations....

Aircraft, except for taking off and landing, really don't have anything setting them apart from ground units.  Would elevation rules make things to cumbersome? 

Second, unless you pour everything into speed, they don't seem to have THAT big of a horsepower advantage over ground units, nor are they that much harder to hit.  Well armored, Tech 4 (fuel cell) CAS minis have maybe 10 MP when we draft them up.  You can boost that through afterburners, but even then it doesn't really feel like they're moving hundreds of miles per hour. 

Matt

last note about the missile packs on the minis...since they're shoulder mounted, I treat them as being on that particular arm.  They're not centered on the hull, and it seems the right way to handle it.  If other folks feel shoulder mounted packs should be "hull" kit, then feel free to view 'em that way.

Are you adding in the x3 MP mulitiplier for the Full Flight modification Matt?

Most of my aircraft designs end up with 18 to 36 MPs...and ignore terrain giving them a major advantage in terms of mobility. 

Shoulder mounts were intended to be front torso...but there's absolutely no harm in treating them the way you are either. smile  The whole concept of the game is 'base framework, customize to flavor!' big_smile   Then blast the bejeebers outta each other. :twisted:

I am finding your comments helpful too btw. wink

Well there you go about the planes.  My opponent has only statted up two aircraft -- going to poin that out.

As for the shoulder missile launchers -- I figured you could go either way.  So folks should just use whatever arcs may sense  smile

updated russian file.  problem with the Medved and I added a new mech.  That's it for a while.

I likes them... Maybe if I get time I can render something with proper Panzer camo, insignia etc...

Just a thought.

I was thinking it may make a cool setting supplement in the future. wink

Yep could be done, count me in as interested...

middenface wrote:

Yep could be done, count me in as interested...

Yeah...but what's Matt think about it?  lol

Absolutely  big_smile !!

The dates in the mech descriptions so far are 2157-2160.

So far, all our playtest sessions have centered around isolated skirmishes where all I've described is the tactical situation for that particular battle.  But for the overall setting, I was thinking MAYBE Imperial Germans against Soviet Reds (rather than just doing future Nazis against Future Stalinists).

I was thinking of a timeline where the Kaiser's Germany has grown to dominate Western Europe in the 22nd Century (having found its place in the sun following its victories in the early 1900s, it slowly but surely absorbed the rest of the continent through economic warfare and military action)-- and they're now duking it out with the Reds.

The Brits and Americans would have to fit in somewhere. 

PS --

Had to fix a typo in the Maskhadov.  Thermal 6 and 183 points.  Even with a worksheet to help, I find mistakes here and there.  Looking forward to when Wardogs has an automated sheet or somethin'  big_smile   Updated Russian zip file uploaded (which is why the counter dropped back to 0), or you can just make the tweak in the word file yourself.

I looked at the Germans again, but their math checked out just fine.  So these guys are good to go  smile

When my Brigade shipment arrives, I'll stat up some conventional armor to go with them (grav tanks, APCs, MICVs, etc)....

When my Brigade shipment arrives,

It's on its way .. should be nearly there by now !

Sounds cool Matt.  wink

brigadetony wrote:

When my Brigade shipment arrives,

It's on its way .. should be nearly there by now !

left at 11.40am

I said you'd give the postie $100 if he got it there by the end of the week

Hope that's ok. tongue

Steve

Who?  Me, or Tony? 

The mailman can't have my money..... big_smile

But I bet the girlfriend wouldn't mind if I handed over all the loose boxes of crap the ex left hanging around the place (amazing what you still find two years after the fact).  smile

Taking the files down for a bit.  I wanna flesh out the mech roster with some new additions, fix a few typos and add conventional AFVs and CAS (I'm just going to use the stock wardogs infantry.

But I'd like to bounce some timeline notes off folks.

Matt

Time line?  Ummm...like when am I gonna get this thing done?  :roll:  :oops:  :wink:

Stock Infantry...yup...that's what they're there for.  smile

themattcurtis wrote:

Absolutely  big_smile !!
The Brits and Americans would have to fit in somewhere. 

quote]

Its just a thought. A brave one maybe.
No USA, the 'commonwealth' instead. England owns a fair size of America.  Or just Canada?
But not the few southern states who broke away in the mid 19th century.
Perhaps some French or german owned parts maybe?

No Great War and WW2 sees the british empire still strong, but not as big as the German empire>?
Perhaps tie in some historical links to the Germans too? Royal family etc.
Imply the Royal Navy keeps germany from all out war with Pax Brittanica?
The russians use the CSA states (rebelious southern states) as a thorn in the side of the Commonwealth.

Depends reall what side the Commonwealth sides with ? Or none at all.
I suppose being a Brit and all make me biased. smile

I could help and start some designs if you would like and give me some pointers>?

Got just about all the vehicle fluff for the Germans done.  Here are the write-ups for them.  Just gotta get the Soviet write ups done and everything we need for tactical scenarios is about ready to go.

Mk. VII Ritter MBTs
Mk. VII panzers provide the foundation for German armored regiments.  Solid in terms of firepower and protection, the Ritter may not be the best AFV currently in service – but it still acts as the measuring stick against which all other tanks are rated.   Appropriations are in the works to improve its targeting systems, with upgrades slated to reach the field in the next three months.  Its fuel cell drive is a no-frills approach seen among many vehicles employed by modern militaries, as the maintenance requirements for such equipment is miles below those seen with fission or even fusion technology.

Recommended Mini: Brigade Kochte MBT

SP.9 Fuchs ICV
The Fuchs infantry combat vehicle provides panzergrenadiers with the mobility and armored protection needed to survive the modern battlefield.  The SP.9 is no match for a tank – its heaviest armament is a 20mm autocannon – and under the right conditions its hull can be perforated even by crew-served heavy weapons.  Yet the vehicle's ability to lay smoke, cover advances with indirect suppression fire and create cover for its squad of riflemen, have earned it high marks from  countless foot soldiers. 

Recommended Mini: Brigade Baumann ICV

SP.9r Command Variant
The SP.9r is a command variant of the popular Fuchs ICV, and is commonly attached to tank and mechanized infantry units.  Gone are the 20mm autocannon and grenade launcher.  In their place, engineers have installed the communications gear needed to direct the actions of a full armored company and a short range ATGM launcher – the “Dolch” – which can unfold directly alongside the commander's topside hatch.   While ammunition is limited, the SP.9r is a deadly tank hunter if used properly, and more than one divisional history credits such vehicles with saving panzergrenadiers under attack from Soviet armor.

Recommended Mini: Brigade Baumann HQ

Sk.5 Raubritter Recon Tank
Sk.5 tanks serve as the eyes and ears of German armored formations.  While the Raubritter's gun is all but useless against anything heavier than a troop carrier or armored car, the vehicle's main benefit remains its ability to relay information through its communications gear.  A platoon of German recon tanks (usually involving an equal mix of gun and missile-toting variants) can disrupt enemy formations, ambush convoys or finish the encirclement of trapped Russian units – trusting on their small profiles, ECM and armor plating to live through such engagements. 

Recommended Mini: Brigade Oldmann Recce Tank

Sk.5 tanks serve as the eyes and ears of German armored formations.  While the Raubritter's turreted ATGM launcher is a decidedly lethal threat to tanks and walkers, the vehicle's main benefit remains its ability to relay information through its communications gear.  A platoon of German recon tanks (usually involving an equal mix of gun and missile-toting variants) can disrupt enemy formations, ambush convoys or finish the encirclement of trapped Russian units – trusting on their small profiles, ECM and armor plating to live through such engagements. 

Recommended Mini: Brigade Oldmann Recce Tank (missile variant)

Mk.VIb Kopfjager SP Artillery
The Kopfjager is a dedicated artillery vehicle mounted on a Ritter chassis.   Developed in 2156, the MK. VIb has been dubbed a “rocket howitzer” by Wehrmacht field officers as it lobs 120mm rounds propelled by self-contained plasma engines (the barrel is there strictly to channel the warheads).  Crews are trained to direct four round “sheaths” against designated target coordinates since the weapon system's automatic loader can handle as many shells in the space of 10 seconds.  Damage inflicted on the barrel limits the Kopfjager to two such salvos during any given engagement, and the equipment is finicky.  While the 120mm gun is housed in an armored turret, the circuitry has a history of being knocked out of commission by the slightest hit.  What's more, the crew compartment is too cramped to allow for ECM gear….forcing engineers to install external chaff and flare projectors to protect the vehicle against counterbattery fire.  Still, German artillery officers consistently praise the Kopfjager's performance, noting it packs enough of a punch to rend the thickest Soviet armor. 

Recommended Mini: Brigade Doherty SP arty

I also have a SP.4d Medical Vehicle (Boyd HQ mini), but the write up will be minimal.  And an AA platform I still need to write up.

Add those to about 6-7 German mechs, and the roster is about done.

Interesting idea, any stats for these.

There was at one time.  Another victim of the great forum crash of '07

I wonder if you can use http://www.archive.org/index.php to find it or is it completely gone with no trace available.

That is really a shame, had the same problem with another forum i was with.

Had some good mech designs for Big Eyes Small Mouth.

matt probably has his designs still.  you could always ask him.  smile

Does Matt still check the forums?

To Matt, PLEASE post the stats for these Machines.

I would greatly app this.

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

mj12games.com/forum → Wardogs → short battle report