Re: Fleet scale naval rules discussion

Soulmage wrote:

But if the shell *IS* enough to penetrate the armor, even more penetration is not a good thing.  In fact, too much could actually be a bad thing as the shell would pass right through the ship and not explode.

So, just because the pen value is higher than the armor, does not necessarily equate to more damage.  Make sense?

That's true.  I wasn't thinking about that.  Once the shell breaks the armor, you got the desired effect.

-Bren

placemarker - ignore

Mike, you ever going to actually post, or just go around adding placemakers to all these threads?

Soulmage wrote:

Sent my email to your work address. . .
Your column shift modifier logic makes sense. . . so I'll bow to your wisdom on this one.  I still say my GF approach is better though!  smile

Okay, so I don't get confused, I've gotten two e-mails with two different
e-mail addresses.
I won't post them here, but one has to do with "dreadnoughts," and the other has to to with an "old man."
Is this the same person, or two different people wanting the files?
I believe I've sent the files to each of the addresses.
Kevin

LOL!!  They're both me.  That explains why I didn't get them earlier. . . I must have been logged into my old email account.

The dreadnought account is my current account, you can delete the other one.  I'll check to verify that I got them at lunch.

Soulmage wrote:

Mike, you ever going to actually post, or just go around adding placemakers to all these threads?

He will.  It's his way of making sure that he doesn't forget about the discusion when he's got more time to read them.  You see them all the time!

-B

jygro wrote:
Soulmage wrote:

He will.  It's his way of making sure that he doesn't forget about the discusion when he's got more time to read them.  You see them all the time!

-B

Mike forget about something? NEVER! He just bides his time plotting...that's it!  lol

Soulmage wrote:

Pretty much place markers.
smile

I'm sorta busy, to relieve tension I read the threads. Don't have time to really give the well-thought out answers I'd prefer now....

If you look for my postings, they're either jokes, or actually useful.

Got the files finally at my old address.  Forwarded them to my new one.

I'm on vacation starting now, and heading out of state.  Taking the computer with me so I might have a chance to read through them while I'm gone.

Back Wednesday, so if I'm going to get anything to you next week, that's when it will be.

After that is GenCon and I will be lost to the world until Tues the 19th.

Turns out I got some time alone with a computer while I'm here. . .  smile

I think you have a solid foundation to build on.  A few initial comments:

Light Guns
One thing Grand Fleets struggles with is a the ability of light guns to inflict a disproportionate amount of damage relative to their actual effectiveness.

For the purposes of this game, I would either:

A) Drop them altogether

or

B) Make a rule that they can only cause damage against an unarmored target

A light gun should NEVER sink a battleship. . . but with the present rules, its certainly possible that they will if you get in close.

A is probably the easiest route to go, and given that the game is mostly going to involve cruisers, battlecruisers, and battleships firing at each other, I don't see that light guns will ever add much.  Its an extra set of stats/rules for very little payoff.  In a fleet level game, I'd suggest it needs to go.

As an aside - this is really something that needs to be fixed for GFII also.  Destroyer flotillas and some battleships can pack a huge number of light guns. . . and with the current rules it can make them deadly even to well protected ships.  Something needs to be done to rein them in significantly so that they are pretty much ineffectual against a major warship. . . as they should be.  Again, dropping them altogether probably wouldn't cost the game much. . . but GF being a more detailed, task force level game has more tolerance for rules additionas than a fleet level game does.

Armored Deck
As written, the ability can give a ship a greater armor value vs. plunging fire than its main belt armor.  "Armored decks" were somewhat less vulnerable than the standard variety, but were never up to the standard of a main belt.

This ability should either:

A) Simply negate the plunging fire bonus

or

B) Get done away with altogether.  At a fleet level, the differences were not all that significant.  Especially at the level of granularity that a d6 provides.

Which reminds me of something else. . .

Die Type
In many many years of gaming, I have never seen a miniatures game that didn't suffer when it was based purely on a d6.

A d6 does not allow for a sufficient variety in options, or gradation of statistics.  IMO, you should definitely move this to a d10 based game to allow for smore subtle distinctions between different values.

Criticals
I think the expanded critical chart is the way to go.  A 16 2/3 chance that a critical hit will result in a magazine explosion is a little excessive.

Listing
I love the rules for listing ships in GF.  For this game I would suggest getting rid of the 50/50 roll though.  At a fleet level game, simply getting a Listing result twice ought to be sufficient to capsize the ship.

Rudder
A jammed rudder ought to force turns, or prevent them, not simply cost additional movement points.  That amounts to nothing more than a speed penalty, and doesn't allow for interesting historical situations like the Warspite circling helplessly in front of the oncoming German fleet.

Maybe when the rudder is jammed, roll a die.
1-2 Port
3-4 Starboard
5-6 May not turn

For every other hex of forward movement, the ship MUST make the indicate turn.

Magazine Explosion
I'd suggest putting the magazine explosion at the double six rather than the double one.  Its more exciting to roll sixes.  smile

Turret Superscripts
I get what you are trying to do here. . . there has to be a better way though.

I love the subject, and love rule systems. . . and this approach just makes my eyes glaze over and doesn't really help me visualize what is going on at all.  I'd suggest giving this some more thought.  Unfortunately, I don't have any helpful suggestions just yet.  I'll let you know if I think of something.

Torpedoes
I must be missing something or my brain isn't working. .

What does the @number represent?  Could you translate that notation element by element with an example?

Anyway, that's all I've got for now.  Hope its helpful.

Soulmage wrote:

Turns out I got some time alone with a computer while I'm here. . .  smile

Heya, thanks for the feedback so far.
It's definitely a skeleton set of ideas so far.

Soulmage wrote:

Light Guns
One thing Grand Fleets struggles with is a the ability of light guns to inflict a disproportionate amount of damage relative to their actual effectiveness.
For the purposes of this game, I would either:
A) Drop them altogether
or
B) Make a rule that they can only cause damage against an unarmored target
A light gun should NEVER sink a battleship. . . but with the present rules, its certainly possible that they will if you get in close.
A is probably the easiest route to go, and given that the game is mostly going to involve cruisers, battlecruisers, and battleships firing at each other, I don't see that light guns will ever add much.  Its an extra set of stats/rules for very little payoff.  In a fleet level game, I'd suggest it needs to go.
As an aside - this is really something that needs to be fixed for GFII also.  Destroyer flotillas and some battleships can pack a huge number of light guns. . . and with the current rules it can make them deadly even to well protected ships.  Something needs to be done to rein them in significantly so that they are pretty much ineffectual against a major warship. . . as they should be.  Again, dropping them altogether probably wouldn't cost the game much. . . but GF being a more detailed, task force level game has more tolerance for rules additionas than a fleet level game does.

I'd agree with this, although the light gun issue really only occurs in those ships prior to WW I. Once we get to WW I, most of the light guns go away, and are replaced by AA only guns.
But in looking at the ship for the Russo-Japanese War, it looks like the light gun values are typically at 4 or less in the first column. By the time you apply the armor shift, there are going to be very few light gun factors available. So I'm not sure (yet anyway) there's a problem in this game.
Now in GF, what I've done to tone them down is to cut the ranges to 0/1/2, and not allow them to plunge fire. For the guys I game with, at least, that seems to have solved the problem. I'm not sure how this'll shake out in GF II yet.

Soulmage wrote:

Armored Deck
As written, the ability can give a ship a greater armor value vs. plunging fire than its main belt armor.  "Armored decks" were somewhat less vulnerable than the standard variety, but were never up to the standard of a main belt.
This ability should either:
A) Simply negate the plunging fire bonus
or
B) Get done away with altogether.  At a fleet level, the differences were not all that significant.  Especially at the level of granularity that a d6 provides.

Yeah, I was looking at this just this morning, and thinking that the definition might not be making the most sense. Keep in mind that you'll probably only see it on unprotected cruisers (armor 0), which had no belt armor, but did have some deck protection. If we simply allow it to negate the plunging effect, then it's really not doing anything at all, since the armor basically can't go below 0.
I guess we could allow armor values to theoretically get to -1 (plunging fire against a 0 armor value), for purpose of determining the column shift.
But an armored deck negates the plunge fire bonus.
Example:
A gun with a pen of 1 and that can plunge fire fires at a ship with an armor of 0. Because of the plunging fire benefit, the armor is actually a
-1, which entitles the gun to a two column shift.
Now that same gun is fired against a ship with an armor value of 0, but which also has an armored deck. The gun will now only get a one column shift.
Makes sense to me.

Soulmage wrote:

Which reminds me of something else. . .
Die Type
In many many years of gaming, I have never seen a miniatures game that didn't suffer when it was based purely on a d6.
A d6 does not allow for a sufficient variety in options, or gradation of statistics.  IMO, you should definitely move this to a d10 based game to allow for smore subtle distinctions between different values.

At the fleet level, the die type doesn't make too much difference to me, because we're already building in a lot of abstraction anyway. In GF, Dan can attest that I'm very vocally FOR a d10. To be honest, the main reason for me going initially with a d6 was to attract a crowd that might not want the game strictly because of it using d10s. Some people just like rolling d6s, and not any other die type.

Soulmage wrote:

Criticals
I think the expanded critical chart is the way to go.  A 16 2/3 chance that a critical hit will result in a magazine explosion is a little excessive.
Listing
I love the rules for listing ships in GF.  For this game I would suggest getting rid of the 50/50 roll though.  At a fleet level game, simply getting a Listing result twice ought to be sufficient to capsize the ship.
Rudder
A jammed rudder ought to force turns, or prevent them, not simply cost additional movement points.  That amounts to nothing more than a speed penalty, and doesn't allow for interesting historical situations like the Warspite circling helplessly in front of the oncoming German fleet.
Maybe when the rudder is jammed, roll a die.
1-2 Port
3-4 Starboard
5-6 May not turn
For every other hex of forward movement, the ship MUST make the indicate turn.
Magazine Explosion
I'd suggest putting the magazine explosion at the double six rather than the double one.  Its more exciting to roll sixes.  smile

The criticals were kind of an afterthought, and I realize that they need a lot of work. At a fleet level, they may not even need to be included. But I agree, the basic crit table is very... basic and extreme.

Soulmage wrote:

Turret Superscripts
I get what you are trying to do here. . . there has to be a better way though.
I love the subject, and love rule systems. . . and this approach just makes my eyes glaze over and doesn't really help me visualize what is going on at all.  I'd suggest giving this some more thought.  Unfortunately, I don't have any helpful suggestions just yet.  I'll let you know if I think of something.

Keep in mind that the superscripts are intended as optional.
That being said, I feel there needs to be a difference between the Tiger firing its mains, and the Moltke firing its mains. Both ships had all turrets available to the broadside, while the Tiger had 50% of it's turrets available fore and aft, and the Moltke only 40% of its turrets available to fore.
And the New Zealand, had offset turrets, which meant that 3 of it's 4 turrets were available both fore and aft.
Right now I can't think of a better way to do this.
If you're not liking the superscripts, just assume all ships have the same basic main turret layout, and use the same column shift for fore and aft firing.

Soulmage wrote:

Torpedoes
I must be missing something or my brain isn't working. .
What does the @number represent?  Could you translate that notation element by element with an example?

Torpedoes...
Ugh...
As Dan will attest, I can't stand them.
I've yet to see a rules system where I really liked the way they work.,
GF included.
And my playtester and I are the ones who came up with them in the first place.  :wink:
In this set, the basic to hit number is a 5+, with the mods applying to the *to hit* number, instead of them meaning a column shift.
I realize there's got to be a better way though.
I'm all ears.

Soulmage wrote:

Anyway, that's all I've got for now.  Hope its helpful.

Definitely, and keep it coming.
Kevin</r>

A die roll I use a lot that might be useful for this thread is 2dX-

Roll 2 dice of size X, and subtract the smaller number from the larger; it gives a 1 tailed curve and a (potentially useful) zero result.

For d6, the breakdowns are 0: 6 in 36, 1: 10 in 36, 2: 8 in 36, 3: 6 in 36, 4: 4 in 36, 5: 2 in 36.

This is particularly useful for "math only goes one way" simplification, which I tend to agree with.  Adding positive modifiers is always better than putting in a mix of positive and negative ones in terms of game play and simplicity.

just a couple of pennies for your thought.

I can't say that Starmada has suffered for only having a d6, in fact very early in the starmada X playtesting we toyed with the d10 idea, in fact I was extremely vocal about having d10s.

Turns out d10s took some of the fun out of the game.  I don't know why, but it just didn't work.

Maybe Dan could articulate more clearly why, but I know we discussed it after some playtesting and both pretty much came to the same conclusion... keep d6.

Remember I was extremely FOR d10s in Starmada, but changed my mind.

jimbeau wrote:

just a couple of pennies for your thought.

I can't say that Starmada has suffered for only having a d6, in fact very early in the starmada X playtesting we toyed with the d10 idea, in fact I was extremely vocal about having d10s.

Turns out d10s took some of the fun out of the game.  I don't know why, but it just didn't work.

Maybe Dan could articulate more clearly why, but I know we discussed it after some playtesting and both pretty much came to the same conclusion... keep d6.

Remember I was extremely FOR d10s in Starmada, but changed my mind.

I'd be interested in Dan's opinion on this.  I've not found much differences between d6s and d10s when using the die rolls for straight comparison.

On the other hand, my designs have a lot less dice herding in them, and any difference between the two gets magnified when throwing more than 3-5 dice at once in terms of handling time.

Ken_Burnside wrote:

I'd be interested in Dan's opinion on this.  I've not found much differences between d6s and d10s when using the die rolls for straight comparison.

My reasons for preferring the d6 are decidedly non-technical:

1) They are more aesthetically pleasing to my eyes.

2) Most players have an excess of d6s... not so with d10s, d12s, etc.

3) Six-siders lend themselves to nicely-distributed results: for example, you can have a 1/1 split, a 2/1 split, or a 3/2/1 split. On a ten-sider, you can do 1/1 and 3/2, but then you jump to 4/1. About the only thing the ten-sider can do that a six-sider can't is 4/3/2/1, but that's not as useful, IMHO.

On the other hand, there is more granularity with a ten-sider (but not as much as you might think), and 10% increments are easier to work with than 16%.

But six-siders rule. smile

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

...and they take much less time to roll than d100's

big_smile

cricket wrote:

1) They are more aesthetically pleasing to my eyes.

Ah, but the d12 is also lovely.

2) Most players have an excess of d6s... not so with d10s, d12s, etc.

Of course, providing dice with the game is also an option....I have never met anyone outside of the indie RPG community who refused to buy a game because it used different dice types.

3) Six-siders lend themselves to nicely-distributed results: for example, you can have a 1/1 split, a 2/1 split, or a 3/2/1 split. On a ten-sider, you can do 1/1 and 3/2, but then you jump to 4/1. About the only thing the ten-sider can do that a six-sider can't is 4/3/2/1, but that's not as useful, IMHO.

Every argument you make about d6s applies to d12s, with the added benefit of being able to go to a 3:1 split. and less granularity.

And 12 siders are thematic with your company name. smile  What die could possibly be more majestic than the 12?

More seriously, because you're doing roll and compare as your base mechanic, d10s or d12s would about double the time needed to use your mechanic, which already invokes a lot of sequential processing rather than parallel.

I put a lot of thought into die rolling mechanics in SS over the last year and a half, and wasn't afraid to rip the damage allocation engine apart to get what I wanted, and I spent a lot of time going "OK, this needs to go - too slow."  I iteratively tested a lot of things, including a Starmada style "roll to hit, roll for armor save, roll hot location" with different weapons doing different amounts of damage going deep into a hit location table.

(Then we got rid of the separate hit location table and damage tracks.)

I also like d12s, and always have.
For some reason they just don't seem to be in as much favor with the gaming community as d6s or d10s.
Or that could just be an imperception on my part.

I prefer d10s as a general rule, but don't have a problem with most any die type.
For some reason I like using d10s for smaller scale, more detailed games, while I think d6s are okay for larger scale, more abstract games.

I even thought the d30s used in Battlestorm were kind of cool.  :wink:
Kevin

Ken_Burnside wrote:

Every argument you make about d6s applies to d12s, with the added benefit of being able to go to a 3:1 split. and less granularity.

And 12 siders are thematic with your company name. smile  What die could possibly be more majestic than the 12?

I did say my reasons were "non-technical".

I could also say they were "completely subjective". smile

In regards to Starmada, at least, there is the additional consideration of ten-plus years of inertia...

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com