Topic: wild west skirmish mods?

Has anyone used Ares for wild west skirmishes? I'm thinking 12-20 figures on the table, each their own unit.

If so, what changes did you make? I was thinking allowing shooting from prone, and giving a +1 to the attacker for it. Also, allowing RF to go up to 10. What sort of modifiers would RF 6-10 have?

Any other changes you'd suggest?

Re: wild west skirmish mods?

Dave wrote:

Has anyone used Area for wild west skirmishes? I'm thinking 12-20 figures on the table, each their own unit.
If so, what changes did you make? I was thinking allowing shooting from prone, and giving a +1 to the attacker for it. Also, allowing RF to go up to 10. What sort of modifiers would RF 6-10 have?
Any other changes you'd suggest?

I know Jeff has used ARES for "weird" west games, but I'm not sure who else has done so.
Between the two of us, we generated numerous force lists, and they're over at the ARES Yahoo group.
If you'd like me to send you the weird west variant rules, just let me know.
I've included rules for gatling type guns, moving and shooting, running out of ammo, ducking back, and extending the range bands.
As far as modifiers, etc. for the extended range bands, they should work out per the normal rules. For example, I have pistols as range band 5 weapons, meaning they can shoot out to 25 inches. I have gatling rifles as range band 8 weapons, meaning they can shoot out to 40 inches. Each range band would be a multiple of 8, with the point costing handled in the normal manner.
I may have even taken cannons out to range bands of 12 and beyond.
It's been a while since I've looked at the force lists.
You can reach me at:

ksmith19@cox.net

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, found them.

We've been using a modified ARES for our western stuff for a few years.
Changing ranges, adding a few movement rules (shooting while prone, etc.) and adding in a bunch of traits has made it function exceptionally well.
We love it.

Would you mind posting the mods in detail?

Sure.  we named the mod ARES: Hombre.
Here's a link to the current location of them, along with our figures and the town and such.
Toward the bottom you'll fing the rules and the excel sheet designed by my brother for use.  The formulas may have changed, if so then they are in the excel sheet and not written in the rules.  It's been some time since we did this, so I don't recall of hand.
http://www.geocities.com/id2290/Hombre/facade.html

We changed them for use with 54mm minis, but it should work for 28mm without issue.

Let me know what you think of them.

Dixon Five wrote:

Sure.  we named the mod ARES: Hombre.
Here's a link to the current location of them, along with our figures and the town and such.
Toward the bottom you'll fing the rules and the excel sheet designed by my brother for use.  The formulas may have changed, if so then they are in the excel sheet and not written in the rules.  It's been some time since we did this, so I don't recall of hand.
http://www.geocities.com/id2290/Hombre/facade.html
We changed them for use with 54mm minis, but it should work for 28mm without issue.
Let me know what you think of them.

This is very cool.
And looks vaguely familiar.
big_smile
I couldn't find where your new special abilities are located though.
Some of the names you guys came up with for them are pretty good.
Kevin

I don't know why they would look familiar to you.  :?:

The new Special Traits are on the Special Traits tab of the excel sheet.

Many of the names come from old country songs.  Wait...real country songs.  Marty Robbins and such.  Texas Red, El Bandito, and so on.

Dixon Five wrote:

I don't know why they would look familiar to you.  :?:

There were just a few things in your mod that looked very similar to what I did in mine.

Dixon Five wrote:

The new Special Traits are on the Special Traits tab of the excel sheet.
Many of the names come from old country songs.  Wait...real country songs.  Marty Robbins and such.  Texas Red, El Bandito, and so on.

Cool...
Thanks for the info.
I'll take a look at 'em.

Just as a heads up, GEOCITIES is scheduled to shut down some time in the not too distant future. Yahoo's not making enough money off it, apparently....

Grab it while you can.

I know.
I'll move it and re-post it as soon as I have somehere else to put it.