Topic: Castles of Steel: German battle turn away

Have been tinkering with a Castles of Steel house rule to allow the Germans to do the 180 turn on an Ace (the battle turn away maneuver). However in our 400-point game the German player used it as an offensive weapon as opposed to preventing his "T" from being crossed as at Jutland. In effect he used it to change the direction of our parallel-running gun duel.

So wondering if we should restrict this rule (perhaps twice a game) or just stay with the regular turning rules (which would require 3 move activations). Or maybe allow the turn away on a face card (but later discarding the Ace unused to keep the movement rates equal). What do others think?

Re: Castles of Steel: German battle turn away

If you are asking whether I think it's appropriate to allow the Gefechtskehrtwendung (bless you! smile) as an "offensive weapon", I don't see why not. If the Germans have the ability to perform the maneuver, I would assume they can do it whenever is most advantageous for them.

However, I would agree with limiting its use to once (max twice) per game. And I like the idea of only allowing in on an Ace.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Thanks, you deduced my thoughts. If the Germans trained to use Gefechtskehrtwendung (hand me a tissue) then it makes sense -- under the game assumption they have an agressive admiral -- for them to use it to help offensively. I do think the once a game limit would be a very good idea.

dotichnus wrote:

Thanks, you deduced my thoughts. If the Germans trained to use Gefechtskehrtwendung (hand me a tissue) then it makes sense -- under the game assumption they have an agressive admiral -- for them to use it to help offensively. I do think the once a game limit would be a very good idea.

Didn't they use it twice at Jutland?
I don't see why you'd have to artificially cap the number of times they can use it per game.
If the British player knows they can use it, he should plan accordingly.
Kevin

Yes at least twice at Jutland.

It seemed a bit odd with the Germans heading one way and then the other...and then another Gefechtskehrtwendung. Maybe I just have to get used to it.

But as a house rule, best that all players agree on how to implement it before the game starts.  smile