Re: Starmada campaign system

Is this still happening?  I have an idea for an acutal Starmada UNIVERSE for a Campaign System.  Please have a look at this pic for an idea of what I have in mind.  This program is called AstroSynthesis and is a 3D Unverse/Galaxy creation program by NBOS.  If intrested in using this, let me know I'll be happy to create the universe in it for you all.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= … mp;theater

Although I'm buried in law school, I thought I'd rekindle this to say I'd be very interested.

I also think that certain ship traits, like the Leadership trait from Fleet Ops, could be reintegrated into the game at a fleet level.  That is to say, have "leadership" packages that can be applied to any ship (since Leadership likely wouldn't have an SU requirement).  It might also impact the fleet level for fleet coordination, although that's as far as my imagination can manage in the spaces between segments of oil and gas law.

Finding campaign-level uses for Auxiliary Services would also be good.  Cargo becomes more important when you are defending actual in-game trade routes, Repair and Hospital can offset ship damage between port stops, etc.  You might even have a system for ship capture - if a ship is brought down without taking out its entire hull (that is, by Marines or crew killers), that ship becomes property of whomever won the battle.

What's the status of this effort? Discussions seem to trail off about 2+ years ago. I see an upscaled SovStar serving as a starting point for a campaign generator (see SovStar forum). Sounds like the consensus is more than current SovStar and less than VBAM. That's a big spectrum for campaign gaming. So some thoughts to add my desires into this effort...
- fleets are tracked by individual ships to facilitate transition to Starmada for resolution, otherwise combined ORAT would suffice for logistic/supply cost calculation and fleet size cap based on command ORAT capacity.
- trade routes and associated economic boons and opportunities for commerce raiding.
- simplified combat resolution for encounters generated but not desired for resolution via Starmada.
- starbases, stations, etc are generic and modular. Hull sized based calculations for ship production, command points, logistical reach, etc.

Just some intial thoughts to continue the discussion. What are your thoughts?

Big question that would need to be considered before anything else can be hammered out:

Are people more interested in a hex-based campaign map, or something more abstract?

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

cricket wrote:

Big question that would need to be considered before anything else can be hammered out:

Are people more interested in a hex-based campaign map, or something more abstract?

I prefer a hex based system. But, I have played others that use jump lanes. Each has its own merits and drawbacks. Hex has more freedom of maneuver especially for exploration and tile based flexibility. Jump lanes allows quicker play as it limits fruitless exploration.

After re-reading this thread, I think this new campaign system should maintain the mantra of "simple but not simplistic". I think SovStar is an already made basis from which a campaign game/scenario generator could be developed. I believe that a core game based on SovStar with optional modules/rules to customize your campaign to whatever level of details you need (like "weapons traits" for Starmada). Hex or jumplanes/nodes could just be another options to customize your game. Supply can be adjusted to the level desired from abstract to "counting beans and bullets" (ok, let's not get that crazy). Let's not forget that this could be a scenario generator for other MJ12 games like Quantum Legions or Defiance. Anyway, I would love to hear from the regulars on this thread.

ZenGhost wrote:

Jump lanes allows quicker play as it limits fruitless exploration.

And this points to one of my (minor) complaints with many strategic space games.

Very few take place in an "established" (i.e. explored and settled) universe. Most take the approach that the galaxy is uninhabited (or at least undeveloped) except for the handful of homeworlds where the players begin.

I'm not a big fan of this.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

To clarify my statement of "fruitless exploration", it is relative to a hex or grid based system. With jumplanes, you can still explore as you move from node to node, and discover nodes with valuable systems or empty systems. I guess each style can dialed up or dialed down for exploration by adding lanes to each nodes. A good example of links and nodes campaign map would be the EVE Online starmap, at least for a very complex map. Anyway, just a thought.

Here are some stray voltages from my synapses,

Orbital stations
- Hull size determines total capacity for production and ability to repair
   - hull size also determines spaces for docking
      - production capacity and repair capacity are separate and distinct values for calculations
- stations not in supply cannot produce or repair starships
- hull size 1-5 is an outpost, supply depot, etc
- hull size 6-10 is a base station
- hull size 11-15 is a starbase
- hull size 15-20 is a starfortress
- for station design purpose, use engine thrust 1, and it cost 1/2 space, due to stationary nature of stations.

Trade routes
- Resource point cost to establish trade routes
   - trade routes are fixed in space (hexes or links)
- provides bonus to income during income phase
- commerce raiding results in loss of half of resource points to attacker
   - commerce raiding is defined by attacking fleet along trade route

A campaign system would be a great way to hook players and keep them coming back to the table. To do that, I think you need an RPG-ish approach. Players might start as a Captain of a single ship, and later advance in rank to Commodore, and then to Admiral. Players can earn points for combat (of course!) but also for exploring new worlds and establishing trade routes (credits? fame?) So, maybe include a random system generator? (You awakened the Shadows of Zha Ha'Dum!) Makes me think of my old Traveller days...

Forgot about this thread, but I've come up with a draft system (in the Starmada section). It was initially an attempt to go for an operational-level campaign, but has since grown more towards the strategic level. Feedback welcome (hopefully of the positive kind...:D)