Topic: GF3 Critical hits

Do FIRE and FLOOD markers stack? It says to ignore if there is already a FIRE and/or FLOOD marker, but it implies there could be more than one marker in effect.

Re: GF3 Critical hits

No. If you roll a FIRE or FLOOD critical hit, and the ship already has the associated marker, ignore the result.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Hi,

I have a couple of questions regarding damage & criticals that came up during a game the other night.

Using the Alternative Damage resolution system as per the new supplements, how does one account for torpedo damage?
I stuck a ship with one torpedo resulting in a loss of enough hull boxes to trigger a damage check.
Reviewing the damage options (being mostly gun-related) don't seem to chime with a below waterline hit?
Would the damage resolution be applied normally, justifying a loss of weapon system caused by below the waterline damage (magazine supply/turret/mechanism damage etc.)
Ignore the gun-related hits, so only a 5 or 6 for torpedo & speed-related damage?
Revert to the original method?
Ignore, as the torpedo re-roll of natural sixes abstract critical damage?

When  the Alternative Damage critical/s are rolled, does one also apply the doubled/trebled result for the accumulated damage as well as the critical damage? I housed ruled the critical took precedence, as both together seemed an overkill and thematically didn't correlate, i.e. gun battery damage with a bridge or engine hit.

Cheers!
Wilf

The damage checks are meant to simulate the effects of the accumulation of damage over the course of the game; you shouldn't perceive that the gun damage and/or critical hit results are the consequence of any single event.

That being said, if the only damage inflicted was due to a torpedo, and the first damage check results in the loss of the main gun turrets, I can see it might cause some mental jarring. smile

As the rules are currently written, I'd encourage you to go with "justifying a loss of weapon system caused by below the waterline damage (magazine supply/turret/mechanism damage etc.)". But I'm open to discussion on house rules to more accurately distinguish between gun/torpedo/bomb damage.

Also, the critical hits are applied in addition to the "normal" results of the double/triple dice.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Daniel,
Thanks for the clarifications, which shall apply from the next game.
Cheers,
Wilf