Topic: 2020 Rules Annex Questions/Errata

Errata? - Pg 12, 3B.2 Engine Points; 2nd Para, first example: should it be 4EPs? 2 for acceleration + 2 for turn to port.

Question - pg 18, B.29 Immobile Trait; "This option requires the use of E.8: System Half-Hits": Why does Immobile require using the Half-Hits rule?

Drydock - Lancing and Semi-Lancing weapon traits missing. Pr+ is in weapon traits list.

Other than that, looking good. smile

Re: 2020 Rules Annex Questions/Errata

MRCAcct wrote:

Errata? - Pg 12, 3B.2 Engine Points; 2nd Para, first example: should it be 4EPs? 2 for acceleration + 2 for turn to port.

That is correct.

Question - pg 18, B.29 Immobile Trait; "This option requires the use of E.8: System Half-Hits": Why does Immobile require using the Half-Hits rule?

Because an Immobile unit by definition has no Engine Track.

Drydock - Lancing and Semi-Lancing weapon traits missing. Pr+ is in weapon traits list.

Noted. Update soon.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

mj12games wrote:

Because an Immobile unit by definition has no Engine Track.

Okay. I initially read it as everything (including Hull, my bad), got half-hits. I was also applying it to Star Fleet Battles Armada, where the immobile bases have Engine tracks, and therefore a "4" wasn't a "free" hit.

So as a clarification, do half-hits only apply to the immobile unit, or all the units in the scenario? Or, another view, can it only be applied to Immobile units and not other units?

Thanks for highlighting that... it's something that should be clarified.

The half-hits option can be applied to some ships in a scenario but not others.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Hello all.  Long time no post. (Formerly koyodude)
In my copy, the last sentence in the description for Repeating 6 is cut off mid sentence.

Yeah... I have no idea what that was supposed to say. hmm

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Seeing as this seems to be the questions thread...

Three questions and an observation or two:

Q1: Are Bulkheads and Damage Control Parties included in the Hull value when applying the Ionized Hull multiplier? Screens aren't, so I'd guess they wouldn't be either, but...

Q2: Are Screens included in the hull value when applying the Regenerative multiplier? Normally I'd say no, but the table at the back of the book has Note [9] following the Regenerative DRat multiplier, which is causing confusion...

Q3: What, if any, tech modifiers apply to Bulkheads and Damage Control Parties? The field for them is blank, whereas all others have either one of the four tech modifiers or N/A.

Observations:

The customized range band example divides the total of Column G by just the range, not range+2 (giving a result of 5.7 instead of 5.0 [4.975 rounded to one d.p.])

Solar Sails, in the main equipment table at the back, is listed as being affected by Engine TL (when in the updated table it's correctly listed as N/A)

Now, on to my main issue. Seeing as I have no internet access at home, how can I (if I can at all) modify version 1.04 of the Drydock to work with all the Rules Annex options? At present, I'm tempted on making a simplified Drake notation generator so I can design the ships and then input the data into the generator, but that means no double-checking (which, as attested by my Blast From The Past supplements when I used the Shipyard, is a Doubleplusungood Thing...).

mort2018confed wrote:

Q1: Are Bulkheads and Damage Control Parties included in the Hull value when applying the Ionized Hull multiplier? Screens aren't, so I'd guess they wouldn't be either, but...

Q2: Are Screens included in the hull value when applying the Regenerative multiplier? Normally I'd say no, but the table at the back of the book has Note [9] following the Regenerative DRat multiplier, which is causing confusion...

I can see where the confusion lies. The answer is no: Screens, Bulkheads, and DCPs are considered "hull" when determining the base DRAT. However, they are NOT affected by the Ionized Hull and/or Regenerating multiplier. It appears Note [7] needs to be adjusted to make that clear.

Q3: What, if any, tech modifiers apply to Bulkheads and Damage Control Parties? The field for them is blank, whereas all others have either one of the four tech modifiers or N/A.

They should be "Shields".

The customized range band example divides the total of Column G by just the range, not range+2 (giving a result of 5.7 instead of 5.0 [4.975 rounded to one d.p.])

Solar Sails, in the main equipment table at the back, is listed as being affected by Engine TL (when in the updated table it's correctly listed as N/A)

Correct, and noted for errata.

Now, on to my main issue. Seeing as I have no internet access at home, how can I (if I can at all) modify version 1.04 of the Drydock to work with all the Rules Annex options? At present, I'm tempted on making a simplified Drake notation generator so I can design the ships and then input the data into the generator, but that means no double-checking (which, as attested by my Blast From The Past supplements when I used the Shipyard, is a Doubleplusungood Thing...).

My recommendation would be to download the Drydock 2 and use the "Tables" tab as a guide on what to add to the Starship Systems section.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Okay, thanks, and noted on all accounts.

The updates for weapon traits say the Proximity weapons have been modified, but for the life of me I can't find a difference between the original text and the annex.

DerekW wrote:

The updates for weapon traits say the Proximity weapons have been modified, but for the life of me I can't find a difference between the original text and the annex.

The changes in the Annex represent everything altered since the very first printing of the Unity Rulebook. Some of the updates had been made previously, so depending upon which revision you own, some of the changes are irrelevant to you.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Updated the Starship Systems Table (p.33).

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Question regarding the updated Weapon Trait costs:
- pg 4, Combined Range Trait modifiers table: The modifier for Fcs + Tls is now x1.8 (down from x3.3 in the previous version of the Unity rulebook).

Is this correct? Only asking because it's a large drop and the combined modifier is lower than both the Gid + Tls combo (x2.7), as well as Tls on its own (x1.9).

Beyond that, the Regenerative Screens included in the Annex is EXACTLY what I've been looking for. Loving the new additions.

Chibsters post_id=41870 time=1588266235 user_id=14051 wrote:

pg 4, Combined Range Trait modifiers table: The modifier for Fcs + Tls is now x1.8 (down from x3.3 in the previous version of the Unity rulebook).

This is not correct. It should be ×2.8.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com