Topic: Tight Turn/Half Loop Question

This may be obvious, but then I'm an easily confused sort.   :?   When attempting a tight turn or half loop, if you miss the die roll (roll less than the plane's turn rating - which seems like it will happen more often than not), you are obligated to move forward additional MPs.  If the number of MPs of forward movement required is greater than the plane's remaining MPs, the rules state that the turn cannot be made and he plane's movement ends immediately.  The question is this - does that mean immediately immediately, as in before the additional forward movement?  Or does the plane make the additional required forward movement (it will, by definition have enough MP to do that), and then stop?

Also, a tight turn or half loop has an MP cost associated with it.  I am assuming, since it is not mentioned, that a normal turn has no MP cost.  Is this correct?

Thanks,
Doug

Re: Tight Turn/Half Loop Question

elsyr wrote:

When attempting a tight turn or half loop, if you miss the die roll (roll less than the plane's turn rating - which seems like it will happen more often than not)...

Nah...
We were using Spitefires and 109s, and I believe they both have a "4" rating. This means you should be successful 50% of the time.

elsyr wrote:

... you are obligated to move forward additional MPs.  If the number of MPs of forward movement required is greater than the plane's remaining MPs, the rules state that the turn cannot be made and he plane's movement ends immediately.  The question is this - does that mean immediately immediately, as in before the additional forward movement?

I can just tell you how we played, which I'm thinking I cleared with Dan.
We went ahead and added the additional forward movement shown on the die, up to the movment allowance of the plane.

elsyr wrote:

Or does the plane make the additional required forward movement (it will, by definition have enough MP to do that), and then stop?

Yes, see above.

elsyr wrote:

Also, a tight turn or half loop has an MP cost associated with it.  I am assuming, since it is not mentioned, that a normal turn has no MP cost.  Is this correct?

I believe it's mentioned in the rules that planes get a 60 degree turn for free.
Of course, now that I've checked my copy (which may or may not be the release version), I can't find any mention of it either.
big_smile
But as long as a plane moves the required number of hexes forward, I believe the 60 degree turn is a freebie.
Kevin

elsyr wrote:

The question is this - does that mean immediately immediately, as in before the additional forward movement?  Or does the plane make the additional required forward movement (it will, by definition have enough MP to do that), and then stop?

You move as far as your MPs will allow -- once you run out of MPs, your move ends.

So, if I have 3 MPs remaining, and I need to move 4', then I move 3' and then stop. If I have to move 2', then I move 2', but I cannot complete the turn since it will cost more than my remaining 1 MP to do so.

Yes.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Cool - thanks for the clarification.  Those seemed to be the right way to handle things, but you never know - I had sunbursts in the wrong phase wrong in Starmada for the longest time.  :oops:

Doug