Re: Info about the Martians...

cricket wrote:
go0gleplex wrote:
cricket wrote:

No, we couldn't borrow Space 1889's Martians, but nothing saying we can't include some of the thematic issues -- we'd just have to find someplace else to be our "Africa in Space".

If we're talking steaming jungles...Venus gets my vote. smile

NOt necessarily... the reference to Africa was about the colonial "divvying" of territory that happened there.

And I'm not sure about a jungle-covered Venus. Overdone, IMHO.

Besides, we've already thrown down the gauntlet on the Moon, with the Spanish Conquistadors. wink

( oO ) Ya know...I'd not even thought of THAT.  The Selenites would make more of a mirror to the 1889 martians approach in a lot of ways.  Would someone tell me where all these dang trees are coming from in this dang forest!!!  d'OH! ><

So if no jungle on venus...mineral crystal formations, boiling pools of mud, cold water geysers, and lots of warm fog?

go0gleplex wrote:

So if no jungle on venus...mineral crystal formations, boiling pools of mud, cold water geysers, and lots of warm fog?

Well, I've done a brief search on fictional representations of Venus... Wells himself didn't write about it (although he implies that the Martians moved on there when the invasion failed on Earth).

The problem is that I cannot find any source material to draw from in the pre-1923 era (when it would be safe for us to use without copyright issues); the earliest novel I can find involving Venus is from 1928.

Obviously, there's no reason we can't create our own Venus from scratch -- but I like using period fiction as a starting point...

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

There anything in the astronomical publications of the era that make any sort of postulation?  Not exactly fiction...but a possible starting point.

Of course the venus would be ok, but its not the same. 1889 plays with the "colonizing" idea of the mars. This means also that the empires on earth dont have an equal alien foe in military and technological fields. Their biggest enemies are other nations on earth. People from other planets of the solar systems are just natives and there to exploit. So if there are high tech marsians which can kick the the earthlings butt the whole idea of a colonization space age dont work IMO.

So the focus in a roleplaying game should not be colonizing like in space 1889 (as much as I love the setting) It should be something different.

Okay...the only thing I've found relating to the surface of Venus is by George Griffith in 1900, Stories of Other Worlds; No III- A Glimpse of the Sinless Star

amusingly enough...this also seems to be part of the chronicles of the Astronef.

go0gleplex wrote:
cricket wrote:
go0gleplex wrote:

If we're talking steaming jungles...Venus gets my vote. smile

NOt necessarily... the reference to Africa was about the colonial "divvying" of territory that happened there.

And I'm not sure about a jungle-covered Venus. Overdone, IMHO.

Besides, we've already thrown down the gauntlet on the Moon, with the Spanish Conquistadors. wink

( oO ) Ya know...I'd not even thought of THAT.  The Selenites would make more of a mirror to the 1889 martians approach in a lot of ways.  Would someone tell me where all these dang trees are coming from in this dang forest!!!  d'OH! ><

Gigantic Fungi....they grow FAST, and I'd have few problems modeling them in the artwork.

Here's one guy's interpretation, done in the recent version of Bryce that was let slip for free for a limited time...I've got it AND the free Poser version (I had 4, they let slip 5)...

http://tropicalearth.smugmug.com/gallery/1853877/1/97632272

In addition to Venus as a 'Steaming Jungle' being overdone, we did at some point say that they had gigantic Crustaceans as the major lifeform - and it was sandy - not jungle covered....

Poser has BUTTLOADS of free stuff on the net, and I'm getting pretty good at converting things into DOGA.

Sand...giant crustaceans...I gotta say it...

venus is just a big beach?!? lol

go0gleplex wrote:

Sand...giant crustaceans...I gotta say it...

venus is just a big beach?!? lol

"Life is a Beach"

Heh..yeah, more or less. When someone (I don't recall who) mentioned the idea, I envisioned a sort of 'world of large archipegelos' where carbon- and silicon-based lifeforms struggled against one another. Carbon wins out in the temperate and artic zones; silicon has the tropics and the poles (due to the huge influx of solar radiation). The "high artic" (and antarctic) lattitudes are the only places that man can stand to stay for long, and it's like summer in the tropics there. Straying into the mountains or too far north/south can lead to death by radiation in a few days.

Lots of volcanic activity, due to the nearness of Sol (the core isn't as cool as ours). Basalt fields, not much greenery - lots of prairies in the highlands - like Summer in Texas...

Anything that would be 'woodland' on Venus is giant mushrooms and bamboo...

I would really like to see Venus as more of a Lovcraftian creepy place than the typical "lizardman savages civilized by Colonials" approach...

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

cricket wrote:

I would really like to see Venus as more of a Lovcraftian creepy place than the typical "lizardman savages civilized by Colonials" approach...

Hmm.. does giant mushrooms and enormous sentient crustaceans do that for you?

...can you see there being a cthulu-ish race under the oceans, perhaps? Or perhaps just a "Kraken' style of monster that's about as common as the sharks are here, and they happen to like coastal waters....?

Walktapi, anyone?
big_smile

burrowing critters...fungal based parasite hunters...less light due to the dense cloud cover...;)

Lovecraftian...hmmm.... :!:

The British Marines were sweating heavily as they moved cautiously forward across the soft sand, nerves taut watching for the unknown threats of this dark new world.  The thick clouds roiling in the Venus sky blocked the sunlight creating an ever-present gloom which was only broken by the blinding flash of heat lightening.  This orangish twilight was making all the colors seem wrong in a stomach sickening way and several soldiers had lost that battle early on in their patrol.  The large fungal formations rising from the silicate heavy sands and phosphorus poisoned pools of water just added to the alieness of the terrain, driving home a subtle message...man was not meant to be here.

Just add tentacular and oozing nasties of horrific proportions...and maybe some parasitical thing that turns the both the living and dead into zombie-puppets.  :twisted:

go0gleplex wrote:

Lovecraftian...hmmm.... :!:

The British Marines were sweating heavily as they moved cautiously forward across the soft sand, nerves taut watching for the unknown threats of this dark new world.  The thick clouds roiling in the Venus sky blocked the sunlight creating an ever-present gloom which was only broken by the blinding flash of heat lightening.  This orangish twilight was making all the colors seem wrong in a stomach sickening way and several soldiers had lost that battle early on in their patrol.  The large fungal formations rising from the silicate heavy sands and phosphorus poisoned pools of water just added to the alieness of the terrain, driving home a subtle message...man was not meant to be here.

Just add tentacular and oozing nasties of horrific proportions...and maybe some parasitical thing that turns the both the living and dead into zombie-puppets.  :twisted:

Heh, that says 'Lovecraftian" to me.....Hmmm

..VUE just crashed trying to do a "broadcast" quality render of a mech I was working on (Locust Clone)...

So, Dan, where are we on this?

I know we've had at least one nibble about the next Iron Stars Supplement.

thedugan wrote:

Nibble, hell, I'll bite Dan right on the leg if the darn thing isn't out soon.  smile

hundvig wrote:
thedugan wrote:

Nibble, hell, I'll bite Dan right on the leg if the darn thing isn't out soon.  smile

Only if you have a signed permission slip from his missus allowing such activity and waiving any trespass issues.  tongue

go0gleplex wrote:

Only if you have a signed permission slip from his missus allowing such activity and waiving any trespass issues.  tongue

That's right.
He's now entered the "permission phase" of his life.
:wink:
Kevin

underling wrote:
go0gleplex wrote:

That's right.
Kevin

lol
<chuckle>

Heh, when did the thread switch from "Info about the Martians..." to "whack the newly married vict... uh, guy?"

underling wrote:

That's right.
Kevin

Wait until you have kids. Then it's permission and negotiation.

.r.

That's easy Mike...Men are from Mars after all...and women from Venus. wink 

Rory...naw...kids is when you start laying in a good supply of duct tape and concertina wire.  :twisted:

A year has gone by and the decision was?